Lumpe Tower Vs Rebuffat Summit

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Lumpe Tower Vs Rebuffat Summit

Postby Furthermore » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:43 pm

Perhaps someone can correct me.....
"Lumpe Tower" is correctly labeled but "Rebuffat Summit" is NOT an alternate name but a separate summit. "Rebuffat Summit" is a sub point (~10-15' prominence) along Rewritten's alternate finish, Rebuffat Arete.

"Lumpe Tower" should be 5.2 (if I remember that down-climb correctly) and "Rebuffat Summit" should be 5.7. Since "Rebuffat Summit" is not correctly indicated in the database, it should be at 39.9325, -105.2865. It should be noted, I am getting a discrepancy between the LOJ satellite and Google Earth imagery for the summit coordinates. Those coordinates were based off Google Earth.
Maybe it's the skew they use for the 3D? (I didn't use the 3D, btw)

Clarification can be found on pg 234 (Lumpe Tower) and pg 238 (Rubuffat Summit) in Levin's Eldo Guide (1st edition). He references both names.

Also, maybe it might be worth while to add the three dominant towers along the west ridge? Long John Tower, Sooberb Tower and Mail Ridge Tower :worms:
Furthermore

Re: Lumpe Tower Vs Rebuffat Summit

Postby jmbrooks8 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:17 pm

It would appear from the map on pg 224 (Eldo bk) and pictures/descriptions on pgs 236-240, that Rebuffat is part of the larger massif next to Lumpe Tower known as The Green Spur Buttress.

Is Rebuffat only distinctive sub-pt of that buttress?
jmbrooks8

Re: Lumpe Tower Vs Rebuffat Summit

Postby Furthermore » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:57 pm

jmbrooks8 wrote:Is Rebuffat only distinctive sub-pt of that buttress?

That is correct. Moreover, technically speaking, the Green Buttress would be a separate, distinct summit.
Furthermore

Return to Colorado Peaks