Unofficially Named Features added?

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Unofficially Named Features added?

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:48 pm

John - noticed a bunch of these having been added recently (First, Second, Third Flatirons (Boulder), "The Bishop" (JeffCo)... What is the criterion for these newly added named features, and when did they get added? I suspect I have more names for other features. Just curious.

:?:
Jeremy Hakes

Re: Named Features added?

Postby John Kirk » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:31 pm

List inclusion criteria are listed here:
http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/glossary.html

Flatirons were added a few months ago. The Bishop I meant to add over a year ago and remembered it seeing a photo in a screensaver last week.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:06 am

Hmm... How far do you intend to go with that? Named features in the Flatirons area are numerous, to say the least. There are also a ton of other named (in guidebooks) features in the South Platte area that aren't "walls", but rockpiles/features (like The Bishop, which is exceptionally cool). Cynical Pinnacle, for example? I'm just trying to get a feel for how much to bug you with pictures and named features so I don't get this: :chair:

:disturbed:
Jeremy Hakes

Postby John Kirk » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:07 am

Jeremy Hakes wrote:Hmm... How far do you intend to go with that? Named features in the Flatirons area are numerous, to say the least. There are also a ton of other named (in guidebooks) features in the South Platte area that aren't "walls", but rockpiles/features (like The Bishop, which is exceptionally cool). Cynical Pinnacle, for example? I'm just trying to get a feel for how much to bug you with pictures and named features so I don't get this: :chair:

:disturbed:

Include the source of the name (book or map), verify there is at least one closed contour.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Unofficially Named Features added?

Postby John Kirk » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:20 am

Let me add that any unofficial names need to still be in use within the last 20 years (historical names will not be included unless there is another reason to list a peak - i.e. minimum possible prominence of 300' or HP within a political boundary). In other words, maps and books need to be printed with a most recent edition to reflect current names (not historical names) of 20 years ago or less.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Unofficially Named Features added?

Postby jmbrooks8 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:37 pm

John - see my RMNP post in CO Pks forum. Seems like those pks would apply. 8 of 9 have closed contours. Lisa describes them as "important, unofficially named" summits.
jmbrooks8

The Knight, JeffCo

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:12 pm

This sits next to Chair Rock.

TOPO! GPS Data Format Deg NAD83 ElevFeet Local-Time
THE KNIGHT,39.40687,-105.23641,7887,03/27/2010,17:04:15,

From Peter Hubbel's book(s).

http://mountainproject.com/v/colorado/s ... /105942891

Probably more like 100' of prominence - the map is difficult to discern. From the book, it is 130' to rappel, but that's all the way to the base.
Jeremy Hakes

name references

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:22 pm

In the notes section for The Turret DougCo, you might want to add for the name reference that it comes from Hubbel's South Platte Guidebook.

For Indian Mountain in JeffCo, add to the notes that the name comes from Jefferson County Open Space's maps.
Jeremy Hakes

Return to Lists in the Works