Lists of Teams

Leaders by Category

Lists of Teams

Postby John Kirk » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:04 am

In the spirit of developing a more interactive peakbagging community, an idea came about to track stats by group/team, beginning in 2009 (or possibly winter solstice) with evenly matched teams. Stats would be continually available, though awards will be issued at specific periodic intervals (i.e. once a year). The idea is to add focus from an overall group perspective to engage more interest in what members are up to at LOJ. It does not require that individuals hike together by any means, only that stats are calculated as a group.

If you are interested, sign up here, or send me an email (jkirk_14@msn.com).

All of this is an idea at this stage, so any additional ideas are welcome. To some this might be a bad idea altogether, but it seems worth consideration.

Potential stats that will be tracked, probably applying to ranked summits only (summits with minimum 300' interpolated rise):

Peakbagger's award - highest total peaks completed by a group
Pioneer's award - most new first ascents at LOJ
Mountaineer's award - highest average YDS
Heightist's award - highest average peak elevation
Bushwhacker's award - lowest average peak elevation
Prominence award - total prominence of group
Efficiency award - highest peaks in a day average
Traveler's award - highest average distance from home coordinates
Obscurity award - lowest average # of climbers per peak or peaks climbed
Frequency award - Most calendar days with summits
Winter award - most ascents in Calendar winter

Other info / group profile:

Average peak location (center point) shown on google maps, all ascents shown on google maps
Custom logo / custom text
Group name

Self assignment of teams is not discouraged, but will be moderated to keep teams evenly matched.
Last edited by John Kirk on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby JoeGrim » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:54 am

Sounds like a great idea!

How will a group be defined? What would be the size limit of a group?

I like this idea even better for individual accomplishments. I would hope to fight for the "Bushwhacker's Award", as issues with altitude sickness keep me from doing high 12ers, 13ers and 14ers (unless I take time off work to acclimate ahead of time.) Plus, many low peaks are awesome!
JoeGrim

Postby John Kirk » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:32 pm

How will a group be defined? What would be the size limit of a group?

Depends on the number of interested participants. The groups' participants could be chosen at random, which means regardless of location or historical stats, or could be pre-designed as long as the membership is fair (a group of the five most prolific peakbaggers from 2008 is not fair for example). I think groups of at seven to ten would be best.

A final redistribution would be in order when the year starts. Newly interested members - that is another question once this is already in motion - do they have to wait until the next year, or do we assign as new members are evenly distributable to groups? Stuff to think about...
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby JoeGrim » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:58 pm

Personally, I would be in favor of a team that represents who you hike with. My wife and I hike with friends on weekends on a regular basis, and we do the 1 or 2 ranked peaks in a day type hikes. We wouldn't win any awards except maybe the "least ranked peaks per day" award or the "lowest prominence per peak award" but it would be kind of fun to see our stats as a group. If I was randomly put into a group, I can imagine my meager climbs would "pull down" the group average.

On the other hand, randomly assigning groups would be nice to balance things out for those hard-core climbers out there truly looking for group competition.

I might be getting carried away, but maybe one solution would be to have different competition levels, determined by individual stats from the previous year. For example, those who averaged 75+ peaks per year would be in division I, those who averaged < 75 peaks per year could be in division II. That way, the serious climbers wouldn't be brought down by us slow pokes; and us slow pokes can still have some competition amongst ourselves. Anyway, my 0.015 Euros.
JoeGrim

Postby John Kirk » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:34 pm

The idea has its complications to be sure...

Random assignment could have drawbacks (especially if your usual company is on another team... "Whoops - I thought you said OFF - belay")
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:09 pm

argh, just when I trying to cut back.
DSunwall

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:15 pm

John Kirk wrote:(a group of the five most prolific peakbaggers from 2008 is not fair for example).

I think fairness demands that John be the sole member of his team :-D
RyanSchilling

Postby petekrz » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:45 pm

Dwight,
I feel your pain. After my disasterous race at Imogene Pass, I was seriously cutting back on the peaks in 2009 to refocus on my trail running.....but now with this idea.....maybe i'll have to rethink it.

Ryan,
My thoughts exactly. Team John Kirk might give Numbers 2-6 a good run for their money.

John,
Definitely an interesting idea. I know i've talked with other LOJ members and we try not to make it a competition....but it's always fun to see what others do on the weekend and to see where one stacks up in certain categories. I know i'm trying to hold off a few of the climbers of prominent peaks in the total prominence category.

I think teams of 5 would be a decent number.

How many members are there on LOJ?

Pete
petekrz

Postby DSunwall » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:32 am

I think we all ready have enough competitiveness with just counting peaks. I do enjoy a good competition but this would be going a little too far for this old man. A one day competitive event turns my crank more than a year long one, that way it doesn't have to consume my life.

I don't mean to shut down the idea if ya'll want to do it, but since I have been sort of involved in other events I thought I would let you know where I stand.
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:57 am

petekrz wrote:
I think teams of 5 would be a decent number.
How many members are there on LOJ?
Pete

There are a little over 300, with about 115 logging over 10 new peaks this year.

I can tell you that I'm not planning on exceeding my totals for this year, but that's just what I thought last year.

To a lot of people, the notion of competition and organization (although this seems better than having your hikes dictated as with CMC) is what they are trying to get away from on hikes in the first place.

Perhaps this might work better from an individual scope, but I'll leave this open for a while to see where we end up with it.

What are some other ideas to get members more involved in the distorted view of the world that is LoJ?
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:59 am

*ahem* I think I'm the shoe-in for the Bushwacker's award. :disturbed:

I like the "mountaineer's award"

and the "most "F.A. on LoJ award" - gets people out on those obscure, "unknown" peaks.

What about "Overlooked award" - most ascents of peaks with the fewest logged ascents?
Jeremy Hakes

Postby John Kirk » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:46 am

Jeremy Hakes wrote:What about "Overlooked award" - most ascents of peaks with the fewest logged ascents?

I put this in the list above as "obscurity award", and used average rather than total.

To address some concerns about bring down one's group:
To balance out teams, we are going to need people with low expected counts. The idea is that teams should have an equal probability of arriving at the same figures by year end. Also, a lot of these stats are not based on sheer numbers (more than half the metrics are averages, not counts). Anyone who is worried about bringing down the count is free to join my team.

I promise none of this: :chair:
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:21 pm

No one has signed up yet?

I thought about it over the weekend, I'll join a team, this could be interesting.

I would expect to do about the same next year as I did this year, a little less than the years before that.
Last edited by DSunwall on Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSunwall

Postby Kevin Baker » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:40 pm

Sign me up, John! I'm sure I can help out my team with the obscura and bushwacking categories. I like the YDS category too. You sure are creating a lot of work for you, John!
Kevin Baker

Count me in

Postby BigRob » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:14 am

I climb as much as I can. This sounds like fun.
BigRob

Next

Return to LOJ Member Stats