Potential lists to add to the existing array

Illinois Complete

Postby John Kirk » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:44 am

John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Illinois Complete

Postby MikeRodenak » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:49 pm

Thanks John,

This will be a fun list to look at. Such a mecca of mountaineering my former state is :-D
MikeRodenak

Postby Steve Knapp » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:43 pm

Sweet! Most are in southern Illinois but one is just a few miles from I-80. This is my route to Michigan and back, looks like I get to traipse through a cornfield and wind farm to get this one next time out there. The joys of mountaineering in the midwest!

Mike, this list is all yours. Take a week and finish all 13!
Steve Knapp

Postby MikeRodenak » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:41 am

Looks like there are a few mistake with some of the quads? I was almost excited for a minute that there was a ranked 1er only 4 quads from my parents house until I clicked on it and realized that its incorrect. The Coal City quad is linking as saying it contains Bald Knob, which is the Union County highpoint. Union County, Illinois is in the SW part of the state near the Mississippi River while Coal City is just SW of Joliet near Chicago.

Bald Knob's page say its in the Cobden Quad, but the Cobden Quad link though that page goes to unranked peaks in Marhsall County which is near Peoria...

Coal City Quad Link:
http://listsofjohn.com/Quads/Quads.php?q=48631

Cobden Quad Link:
http://listsofjohn.com/Quads/Quads.php?q=49362

Not sure if there are other mistakes like these, I only was clicking on the quad that showed it had a ranked peak near my parents house and then was confused why the peak was actually in a county I knew to be in a much different part of the state so started digging a little bit more on the quad links.

Looks like the closest peak to my parents house (in state anyway) is the Bureau County HP off I-80 that Steve mentioned above, if I drive home one of these days I will definitely have to check that one out! Not sure if the whole list of 13 is something I would chase, but maybe a week down in So Ill and one could knock out those 12 peaks down there pretty easily?
MikeRodenak

Postby John Kirk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:03 pm

MikeRodenak wrote:Looks like there are a few mistake with some of the quads

OK - fixed
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby MikeRodenak » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks John! I think the coolest part of this list was figuring out what Quads I have lived in in the state, I have lived in 6 actually, but none of which have anything noteworthy, not even an unranked named "hill". Oh well. It was cool looking at the topos for the area at least!
MikeRodenak

Return to Lists in the Works