Michigan Complete

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Michigan Complete

Postby John Kirk » Fri May 20, 2011 4:55 pm

http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/stmain.php?s=MI

126 P300s

This concludes Contiguous US states with prominences >= 1,000', with a total of 6,780 P1000s in the Contiguous US.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Michigan Complete

Postby jmbrooks8 » Fri May 20, 2011 5:18 pm

Cool! My original home state. Nice work!
jmbrooks8

Postby KentonB » Fri May 20, 2011 7:01 pm

My home state too. Woo Hoo! Thanks John... I just hope I live past Doomsday tomorrow to hike some more peaks back there. :-) jmbrooks, what part of Michigan are you originally from?
KentonB

Postby JoeGrim » Mon May 23, 2011 9:41 am

What an awesome accomplishment!!! Now we know all the P1000s in the U.S. One of these days, we'll know all of the P300s, once you finish up all the states (or at least we'll know nearly all of them, because with tens of thousands of peaks between 250'-350', even someone perfect will miss a few.)

Which states are you doing next?

By the way, I was able to add 10 peaks with Michigan, where as a kid, my family went on vacation a lot.
JoeGrim

Postby Steve Knapp » Mon May 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Thank you John! Looks like there are plenty of Michigan fans around here. I spent the first 21 years of my life there in a small town called Coldwater. Now when I go back to visit I can climb peaks now that we know where they all are! As expected, most of them or in the UP or Northern Lower Peninsula far from the southern Michigan population centers. For anyone that hasn't been there, go sometime! It's a beautiful state for half the year, a sportsmans paradise. The Great Lakes and their shoreline areas are particularly nice. I still need to make it to Isle Royale some day.

As for the Nov-Apr months, well that's part of the reason I live in Colorado now. Other than ice fishing, snowmobiling, and bowling there isn't much to do in the winter. And while there are ski areas, Howelson Hill is bigger than most of them. I learned to ski on a hill with 300 vertical feet and crappy snow. It blew my mind the first time I saw the Rocky Mountains and Vail.

Thanks again John!
Steve Knapp

Postby TWorth » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:59 am

Couldn't agree more about the UP in the summer - really enjoyed my visit there in 2000.

Steepness: http://ned-files.com/mi/files/mi.html
TWorth

Return to Lists in the Works