Alabama Complete

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Alabama Complete

Postby John Kirk » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:24 pm

John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Alabama Complete

Postby kirkmallory » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:12 pm

Cool - that didn't take long. I can add a few I just did over President's Day when I went to the area for a quickie state HP trip. Bummer that 1543 isn't ranked - it was a spur-of-the moment thing when I drove by; thought it might be ranked just looking at the terrain map on my Droid. Should have gone north to 1830 instead, but my rental wasn't liking that high road closer to Horn.
kirkmallory

Postby KentonB » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:13 pm

Awesome! I'm still holding my breath for Michigan too. ;-) John, is there anything others can do to help? Or do you have a process down that would just make that more tedious?
KentonB

Postby John Kirk » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:57 pm

KentonB wrote:John, is there anything others can do to help? Or do you have a process down that would just make that more tedious?

You could start working on Michigan on your own if you like - basically what I need as far as inputs are files by county that have this structure and are based on WGS84 coordinates:
Name|Elevation (interpolated where applicable)|Saddle (interpolated)|Line Parent|Lat|Lon|Saddle Lat|Saddle Lon|Counties|Notes (i.e. other hp or prominence point coordinates)|Alternate Name(s)

To ensure all named summits in the current GNIS database are included, I have a pre-loading process into TOPO! from GNIS extracts per state/per county.

I'd probably want to audit lists fairly extensively, so it wouldn't be a one-for-one time savings. It also gets tricky to have multiple individuals working on a state when line parents are in files others are working on and primary keys (id#s) aren't referenceable in order to automate and simply the final consolidation process. In other words, it creates more work in total (more preparing data for loading), but saves time on a per-person basis looking at maps and identifying peaks.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby TWorth » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:43 pm

Summit steepness(or lack of) for this state:

http://ned-files.com/al/files/al.html
TWorth

Return to Lists in the Works