Georgia Complete

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Georgia Complete

Postby John Kirk » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:11 pm

http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/stmain.php?s=GA
440+ P300s

Not sure how problematic access, chiggers, and scrubby bushwhacking are, but other than that looks like a nice place to bag peaks.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Georgia Complete

Postby wayfarer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:54 pm

Wonderful! I didn't expect Georgia to be up this soon. I haven't done a lot there - but there are some nice peaks to climb. Though I can't recommend Summer!

This allowed me to add missing peaks to a number of custom lists as well, including 50 Highest Eastern County Highpoints, Eastern COHPs Over 4000 Feet, Southeast 50 Finest Peaks, Eastern US 100 Finest, and Southeast Top 50 RORS Peaks. After Tim runs the numbers I may have to revise the steepness lists a bit too.

Any idea yet as to what state you will do next? Kentucky might have a few surprises, though I'm also curious about Alabama, New Jersey, Maryland, and Michigan.

Rick
wayfarer

Postby John Kirk » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:21 am

crshortt wrote:Any idea yet as to what state you will do next? Kentucky might have a few surprises, though I'm also curious about Alabama, New Jersey, Maryland, and Michigan.
Rick

Kentucky is now in progress - that's the state with the most unknowns in terms of county prominences and # of peaks. Next will be Maryland, then Alabama, Minnesota, Michigan. That takes care of all Contiguous US states with 1k prominences. Might work Missouri into there somewhere. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel with this project. Five busy years in the making so far...
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby wayfarer » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Excellent! You've certainly done an incredible job so far and made an amazing website that everyone using it values highly. I was almost reduced to tears several days ago when most of the info seemed to be gone and I feared you had been hacked. It's certainly directly responsible for me discovering and seeing a fair number of peaks, some of them quite rewarding, that may not have come up on my radar otherwise - and it makes tracking them so much fun!

So no intention of eventually doing New Jersey too?? It's a small state but they seem to have a few admittedly low, but still interesting summits. They even have a list - the NJ1Ks (elevation, not prominence, reaching to a lofty 1,803'!): http://www.nj1k.org/ I don't know what the prominence cutoff on those peaks are though. 200' would be my guess but I haven't really looked into it much. There is also another list called the West Milford Bakers Dozen that I can't seem to find the names of more than two or three of without buying a book about them. Maybe if I hit a couple peaks in that area first and get more intrigued...

Rick
wayfarer

Postby John Kirk » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:33 pm

crshortt wrote:So no intention of eventually doing New Jersey too??
Rick

I plan on list the entire US, I just don't know the order I'm tabling the rest.
crshortt wrote:I was almost reduced to tears several days ago when most of the info seemed to be gone and I feared you had been hacked

My host keeps moving things to new servers which causes spotty interruptions - sorry about that. I also don't have a dedicated server, so sometimes the server gets overloaded with the numerous other clients on the same server. Dedicated servers are too much $ these days...
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Steve Knapp » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:57 pm

Thanks John! I've got a couple to add now as I've hiked the entire Appalachian trail in Georgia (not too impressive, it's a short section). I know I did Springer and Blood mtns when I was about 13. Does anybody know if the A-trail goes over any other peaks in Georgia other than those two?
Steve Knapp

Postby Peter J Barr » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi Steve,

In addition to Springer and Blood, the AT also goes directly over Blue Mountain, Levelhand Mountain (well, this was a 10 yard side trip with a side trail to a view), Cowrock Mountain (not the P1K peak), Tray Mountain (but not the Habersham cohp unless you made extra effort to get it), Young Lick Mountain, Rocky Mountain, Sassafras Mountain, Sheeprock Top, and Justus Mountain. It also goes over a few unranked peaks including Ramrock Mountain, Granny Top, As Knob, Poor Mountain, and Wolf Laurel Top.

It's also possible that you summited a few more peaks that the AT now skirts around, prior to reroutes. Hawk Mountain is one possibility that comes to mind, though I am unsure of its reroute date. Many others (Black Mountain and Horsetrough for example) were original AT peaks, but haven't been on the trail route since the 1960s of earlier.

A lot of people who have hiked sections of the AT simply claim a summit because its name was listed in the AT Data Book or other guidebook. This is an ignorant practice. The AT Data Book and similar guides list dozens more named summits as landmarks, complete with mileage. However, the books are most often simply listing the high point of the trail itself on the shoulder of a named mountain. Complicating matters, the USGS topo's depection of the AT route is outdated considering decades of reroutes that invariably took the trail OFF of the summits and put it around their sides; and MyTopo, though more current, is alarmingly inaccurate in representing the route of the AT compared to what actual GPS tracks prove the route to be.

Similarly, the AT goes very close to the top of many summits, and even a GPS track will show its route generally through the center of the topo contour. However, many of these require a side trip of anywhere from a few steps to a tenth of a mile to actually touch the high point. If you didn't touch it, you didn't bag it.

I've noticed this misreporting to be at a minimum on LOJ, which seems to attract more serious, knowledgeable peakbaggers. However, the practice is an epidemic on peakbagger.com.

For those GA peaks that I listed above, unless otherwise noted, the AT actually does cross right over their summits, and I would credit any hiker of the GA section who hiked the trail itself to also have bagged those peaks.

Thanks, John, for posting Georgia. It was an early Christmas present, and briefly transported me back among the fond memories of the first week of my AT thru-hike last March. Oh how I miss the Trail....
Peter J Barr

Postby kirkmallory » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:38 pm

Awesome! I only had one peak to check off in Georgia (Stone Mountain), which I've "been on" numerous times while growing up. We lived about 15 minutes from it. But I'm only counting the three times I've gone back after moving to CO when I made a point of going to the true summit, and for which I kept track of the dates. I also was able to add a liner cohp on Brasstown Bald, which I did with Brasstown just before my parents moved to NC. Now all my ranked US peaks are in LoJ. Thanks John!
kirkmallory

Postby KentonB » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:10 am

John Kirk wrote:Next will be Maryland, then Alabama, Minnesota, Michigan.

Can't wait for Michigan! I've got 2 ranked peaks in that state I'm waiting to check off! :-)
KentonB

Return to Lists in the Works