Custom lists

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Custom lists

Postby wayfarer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:05 pm

Hi John,

I just discovered the new custom list feature. This is AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME! I've already made three and have many more in mind. So much for any productivity researching peaks for an upcoming trip, or even tomorrow's hike, for the rest of the evening!

A problem though, regarding missing peaks from very popular, much used lists. Case in point - the Catskill 3500. This is a list of all the peaks over 3,500' in the range with at least 250' of prominence. Though there seems to be some discrepancies in the prominence of some of the peaks. Despite that, it is a long established and much pursued list. By coincidence(?), there are 35 peaks on the list. All of these peaks are in the LOJ database except one. Southwest Hunter (3,750') is an unofficially named peak, you guessed it, southwest of Hunter Mountain. It is also unofficially known as Leavitt Peak, and there is apparently an effort underway to get it named that. Here is a link to the Catskill 3500 Club's web page about the peak: http://www.catskill-3500-club.org/catskill-peaks/sw-hunter-mountain.htm And a wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Hunter_Mountain

The peak is located on the Hunter quadrangle for New York and the coordinates are 42.1625, -74.2436. Is there any chance this one can be added, since it does indeed have an unnoficial name and is on a popular Northeast peakbagging list?

Rick
wayfarer

Re: Custom lists

Postby wayfarer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:05 am

Hi again John,

I have also created a partial list for the most prominent peak or peaks in each state currently in the database. But it will not allow me to add McKinley for Alaska. In fact, Alaska does not show up as an option to select peaks from. Is this because Alaska itself is only partially listed? Obviously, there is no question it is the most prominent peak in Alaska, the U.S., and North America.

Having great fun with this new feature, plucking some of the plums before anyone gets to them. I'll be lucky to even get out and bag some peaks today!

Rick
wayfarer

Postby wayfarer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:30 am

You're going to hate me, but I have another question regarding the custom lists.

Would it be possible to add a custom field to a custom list. For example, I made a list of the Virginia county and city prominence peaks. It would be nice to be able to add a "Location" field at the beginning so that you would know what county or city the peak was the leader for. Looking at the county the peak is in doesn't necessarily do the trick because the same peak can be in two counties, but only be the prominence peak for one. Virginia has both scenarios. Apple Orchard Mountain is the prominence peak for both Botetourt and Bedford Counties. The same is true of Mount Rogers, which is the prominence peak for Smyth and Grayson Counties. Contrarily, Big A Mountain is in both Buchanan and Russell Counties, but is the prominence peak for Buchanan only. But one might think it was the leader for Russell too if they didn't study the list very carefully to figure out that Beartown Mountain was the Russell prominence peak. The same is true of Hightop for Greene and Rockingham Counties. It is the leader for Greene but not Rockingham, where Lairds Knob wins.

Rick
Last edited by wayfarer on Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wayfarer

Postby John Kirk » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:04 pm

crshortt wrote:You're going to hate me, but I have another question regarding the custom lists.
Would it be possible to add a custom field to a custom list.
Rick

This thought came to mind before you mentioned it, where I was thinking there would be an attribute someone would want to add that isn't in the database. It will take a bit of time to create and setup, but I think this is a worthwhile addition.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:53 pm

crshortt wrote:Hi again John,

I have also created a partial list for the most prominent peak or peaks in each state currently in the database. But it will not allow me to add McKinley for Alaska. In fact, Alaska does not show up as an option to select peaks from. Is this because Alaska itself is only partially listed? Obviously, there is no question it is the most prominent peak in Alaska, the U.S., and North America.

Having great fun with this new feature, plucking some of the plums before anyone gets to them. I'll be lucky to even get out and bag some peaks today!

Rick

Overlooked this - I have added all states - it was only listing fully completed state lists.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:59 pm

crshortt wrote:Hi John,

A problem though, regarding missing peaks from very popular, much used lists. Case in point - the Catskill 3500. This is a list of all the peaks over 3,500' in the range with at least 250' of prominence. All of these peaks are in the LOJ database except one. Southwest Hunter (3,750') is an unofficially named peak, you guessed it, southwest of Hunter Mountain.
Rick

I have added it http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=126077, but it only has 200' of prominence.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby wayfarer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:14 pm

Thanks a bunch. I'll add these to the appropriate lists shortly. As for Leavitt, yeah, even optimistic prominence is only 219? But the Catskill 3500 Club claims it meets the requirements, so I'll try to get it eventually. And I'm sure the people on LOJ who already have it will be happy to find it.

I'll keep an eye out for the custom field sometime in the future. That will be yet another great addition. Wow, so many more lists to make!

Rick
wayfarer

Postby John Kirk » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:56 pm

crshortt wrote:
I'll keep an eye out for the custom field sometime in the future. That will be yet another great addition. Wow, so many more lists to make!

Rick

There is now a custom field available (can change the title of it also)
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby wayfarer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:57 am

This is awesome! It will be a big help on certain lists. Would it also be possible to make "Custom Field" one of the choices to sort the list by when on the Member Area/View Progress page? That would be really useful, especially if you could select by ascending or descending whether it was a name or a number. For example, if it was a county name you would likely want it to sort ascending alphabetically. If it was a number, you might want it to sort ascending if it was a rank number like 1-50 or descending if it was a score like steepness or spire measure.

Rick
wayfarer

Postby John Kirk » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:38 am

crshortt wrote:This is awesome! It will be a big help on certain lists. Would it also be possible to make "Custom Field" one of the choices to sort the list by when on the Member Area/View Progress page? That would be really useful, especially if you could select by ascending or descending whether it was a name or a number. For example, if it was a county name you would likely want it to sort ascending alphabetically. If it was a number, you might want it to sort ascending if it was a rank number like 1-50 or descending if it was a score like steepness or spire measure.

Rick

Can do - sometime later today, though not sure how long ASC, DESC options will take.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby wayfarer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Perfect! Works like a charm!
wayfarer

Postby John Kirk » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:29 pm

crshortt wrote:Perfect! Works like a charm!

Let me see about making a sort option you set in the control panel the default when viewing the list from the custom lists page and the list feature of the Member Areas. (something like Sort list using Custom Field: NO, ASC, DESC
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:52 pm

OK - so I added the option to sort by the custom field in the control panel. When it is set to either ASC or DESC, it becomes the default sort for the list,
applied on:
The Members area, for example:
http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Content/clist.php?lid=97 (I used Tim's list as an example and set his to DESC on the drop measure)
The list viewable from the Custom List Page, for example:
http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Content/customlists.php?lid=97
And when the list is viewed from the custom lists login/creation area
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby wayfarer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:36 pm

This is great. Thanks a bunch! I can see all sorts of new possibilities and uses for this field.

I can see some Steepest 50 lists in the works too, based on Tim's lists. Can do Northeast Steepest 50 now, but will have to wait on Georgia and Kentucky (and maybe Alabama, though I'll be surprised if much there scores very high) to get thorough Eastern and Southeastern lists. Though I can still do a partial. It will be interesting to compare the differences between various steepness lists and the RORS lists.

BTW, I sent you an e-mail with three more peak requests. I'm still not sure where is the best place to make such requests.

Rick
wayfarer

Postby John Kirk » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:21 am

crshortt wrote:This is great. Thanks a bunch! I can see all sorts of new possibilities and uses for this field.

BTW, I sent you an e-mail with three more peak requests. I'm still not sure where is the best place to make such requests.

Rick

Email works best - thanks
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Next

Return to Lists in the Works