Create your own Custom List

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Create your own Custom List

Postby John Kirk » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:10 pm

I built an interface to add peaks from searches and create your own lists. Automated Google maps and member progress (including member progress maps) areas are some nifty features. I put up two examples:
http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Content/customlists.php
You can access the Custom Lists for viewing from the main page under Custom Lists:
clp1.jpg

To Create your own lists, log in and select "Create a Custom Peak List":
clp2.jpg

Here's a screenshot of the user interface:
clp.jpg
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Create your own Custom List

Postby JoeGrim » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:42 am

That's awesome! And it will help save you time too. When people ask: "Could you make such-and-such a list?" You can reply, "Actually, YOU can do it." :-)
JoeGrim

Postby BrianR » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:07 am

Wow, this is great! Is there a way to associate some sort of description or disclaimer with a list? I ask because I have a >99% complete set of jurisdiction information for all Arizona ranked and soft ranked peaks (maybe less complete on the latter) based on geocommunicator.gov data and sometimes other maps. I'd love to see lists of peaks by National Forest (and maybe other public lands) while excluding peaks on private inholdings within those lands. However, there are occasional judgment calls on a peak's exact status and sometimes the geocommunicator.gov data conflicts with NF forest maps, etc. I would be more than happy (given a bit of time) to make shared lists for the AZ National Forests, but would want to include something saying why the list might not be as deterministic as, say, a list of Front Range 13ers. I could imagine other reasons why it might be nice to have a short description on other shared lists that goes beyond information contained within the title.

Brian
BrianR

Postby John Kirk » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:42 am

BrianR wrote:Wow, this is great! Is there a way to associate some sort of description or disclaimer with a list?
Brian

I can add a custom text field that will display "Notes about this list: view link" on the Member Area Page, and hyperlink a notes field in the list selection page.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby BrianR » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:59 pm

John Kirk wrote:
BrianR wrote:Wow, this is great! Is there a way to associate some sort of description or disclaimer with a list?
Brian

I can add a custom text field that will display "Notes about this list: view link" on the Member Area Page, and hyperlink a notes field in the list selection page.

That would do the trick as far as I'm concerned.

Brian
BrianR

Postby DSunwall » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:01 am

cool, I like it. That has been one thing missing from the site, being able to have lists for defined areas other than counties or states.

We did have Wilderness area lists, looks like they have disappeared from the Home page?
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:30 pm

BrianR wrote:That would do the trick as far as I'm concerned.
Brian

I've enabled a notes field - this will also be useful when more complicated list ideas come about. The title doesn't always give it away.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby BrianR » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:49 pm

John Kirk wrote:
BrianR wrote:That would do the trick as far as I'm concerned.
Brian

I've enabled a notes field - this will also be useful when more complicated list ideas come about. The title doesn't always give it away.

That works great. Thanks again for this great feature, it will be interesting to see what lists people come up with!

Brian
BrianR

Postby John Kirk » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:27 pm

I have also added a comments field as a way for members to communicate questions/comments about lists. I have a comment up that I put in through the back end. I haven't built the interface for all users to add their comments yet, but will at some point soon.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby BrianR » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:18 pm

As the number of shared lists grows, it may be worthwhile to organize the lists by state or region (or even some other category). Obviously some lists will be national in scope, but there will be lots that are specific to a state or region. That will make it easier for people to find lists in which they might be interested. The assignment of a list to a category of lists could be done by the list author, just clicking check boxes for which categories are most appropriate (still requiring John to manage the list of categories).
BrianR

Postby John Kirk » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:49 pm

BrianR wrote:As the number of shared lists grows, it may be worthwhile to organize the lists by state or region.

I was thinking about this too. It will be a good idea.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RyanSchilling » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:32 am

This is a very cool feature, John!

I had trouble with the Copy List command. When I clicked Submit, the copied list didn't appear?
RyanSchilling

Postby John Kirk » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:28 pm

RyanSchilling wrote:This is a very cool feature, John!

I had trouble with the Copy List command. When I clicked Submit, the copied list didn't appear?

Forgot to add the new "comments" field to the insert statement that copies after I created it, so the column count was off - should work now.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby jmbrooks8 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:57 am

John - looks like Members Progress List only shows ranked peaks completed. Shouldn't this strictly follow the custom list no matter what type of peaks included? The map shows up fine.
jmbrooks8

Postby John Kirk » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:25 am

jmbrooks8 wrote:John - looks like Members Progress List only shows ranked peaks completed. Shouldn't this strictly follow the custom list no matter what type of peaks included? The map shows up fine.

Are unranked peaks really progress??? :disturbed: :-P

Give me some time to build a method to capture ranked vs. unranked separately as I don't think it is objective to mix them in the same count.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Next

Return to Lists in the Works