Wilderness Area HPs

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Arkansas complete

Postby JoeGrim » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:47 am

Arkansas is now done. There were a couple areas where the HP lay near a poorly defined boundary. The only area though where I don't have strong confidence that I got the HP was the Big Lake Wilderness. The entire area has an elevation range of only ~5 feet or less, so it was hard to find the HP when there was only one contour level plus point elevations.

Next up: Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama
Attachments
wildernessHPs_AR.xls
Arkansas wilderness HPs Excel file
(18.5 KiB) Downloaded 1896 times
JoeGrim

LA, MS, and AL complete too

Postby JoeGrim » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:15 am

Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama are complete now too.

The only real issue was with the Lacassine Wilderness in Louisiana, which is so flat that there are no contours or even any spot elevations. Naturally, no HP was determined for this area.

Up next: Florida
Attachments
wildernessHPs_LA_MS_AL.xls
Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama Wilderness HPs Excel file
(21 KiB) Downloaded 1841 times
JoeGrim

Postby JoeGrim » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:44 am

Now that there are MUCH better wilderness boundaries given at wilderness.net, I'm planning on verifying all the wilderness HPs that I found before. However, first I need to get the boundary data into an easily usable format. And I'm unable to get my GPS software to open the KMZ file that they have available for download. If anyone has a way of converting this to GPX or GDB format, that would be great! Thanks!
Last edited by JoeGrim on Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeGrim

Postby RyanSchilling » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:49 am

JFToujours wrote:Now that there are MUCH better wilderness boundaries given at wilderness.net, I'm planning on verifying all the wilderness HPs that I found before. However, first I need to get the boundary data into an easily usable format. And I'm unable to get my GPS software to open the KML file that they have available for download. If anyone has a way of converting this to GPX or GDB format, that would be great! Thanks!

Would this KML-->CSV converter help? Then maybe you could go from CSV to a GPS format?

http://kmlcsv.pbworks.com/
RyanSchilling

Postby JoeGrim » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:01 am

Thanks Ryan. It turns out all I get are waypoints and no boundaries. Not sure if this is a result of the conversion or that the KMZ file didn't contain the boundaries to begin with.
JoeGrim

Postby John Kirk » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:55 am

JFToujours wrote:It turns out all I get are waypoints and no boundaries.

What you'll need is some way to connect the polygon points. I think Google Earth does this automatically.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby JoeGrim » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:16 am

I have been able to use Google Earth to view the area with their Terrain underlain, but what I need are the boundaries overlaid on a more detailed USGS topo map. I haven't found out how to get Google Earth to do this (if it does it at all.) Any instructions as to how to do this will be much appreciated.
JoeGrim

Postby JoeGrim » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:35 pm

Well, since I was unable to find a program to do a proper conversion, I wrote a program myself to do it. It's not pretty, but it does the job. I still have to manually go into the kml file and select the individual wilderness areas, copy the contents into a file, and then run the program on each individual file. So, if anyone finds a better way, please let me know. For now though, at least I have found a way that works reasonably well.
JoeGrim

Postby JoeGrim » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:54 pm

I'm redoing all the wilderness areas using the newer more accurate boundaries from wilderness.net. I am posting a link to each state as I go through them in the first message on this thread. For now, only Montana is done (with one change). I will post a note at the end of this thread whenever I finish one or more. Also, since I have had to make gpx files of the wilderness boundaries, please let me know if you ever need them, and I can post them on my website for download.
JoeGrim

Postby JoeGrim » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:31 am

I went ahead and rewrote the program to automatically convert all the wilderness boundaries into separate gpx files for each wilderness. It took me awhile since my programming skills aren't great, but it will save me time in the long run. Just in case anyone wants any of the boundaries, I have posted the files on my website at http://www.joeandfrede.com/colorado/wil ... oundaries/
JoeGrim

Postby DSunwall » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:05 am

Looks interesting, havn't had time to really check these out, but I did a quick check. It looks like you might have overwritten Sangre De Cristo with Saquaro. Wouldn't you know, the first one I look at. :-P
DSunwall

Postby JoeGrim » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:28 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. Looks like I missed some sort of bug in my program. I'll have to figure this out, and will post a new message once it's all fixed and reposted.
JoeGrim

Postby JoeGrim » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:40 pm

Recreated and reposted. It turns out that some wilderness areas with multiple boundaries were not all listed in order within the kml file, which created the problem. I tested quite a few files and they all look good to me now; however, if anyone finds any other bad files, please let me know. The boundaries aren't perfect, but they're a lot better than the previous boundaries I had been using.
JoeGrim

Postby JoeGrim » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:15 pm

Idaho reverified. All HPs were already correct. See first post in this string for link to Excel file.
JoeGrim

Re: Wilderness Area HPs

Postby JoeGrim » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Washington, Pennsylvania and New Jersey redone and posted at the top of this thread. Only one error was found.
JoeGrim

PreviousNext

Return to Lists in the Works