Wilderness Area HPs

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Re:

Postby John Kirk » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:26 am

JFToujours wrote:Recreated and reposted. It turns out that some wilderness areas with multiple boundaries were not all listed in order within the kml file, which created the problem. I tested quite a few files and they all look good to me now; however, if anyone finds any other bad files, please let me know. The boundaries aren't perfect, but they're a lot better than the previous boundaries I had been using.

Just got around to looking at the new boundaries - quite an improvement. We should probably revisit the CO full wilderness area listings as well - Uncompahgre for example missed Chimney Rock in the NationalAtlas.gov boundaries (could make or break a completion depending on whether it is in there 4 pitches of 5.6 :disturbed:).

Joe, Thanks for all your work on the conversion - the freehand import to TOPO! via gpx works much better than waypoints.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Re:

Postby JoeGrim » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:09 am

John Kirk wrote:Joe, Thanks for all your work on the conversion - the freehand import to TOPO! via gpx works much better than waypoints.

Glad to know it helps you too. 8)
JoeGrim

Re: Re:

Postby John Kirk » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:09 am

JFToujours wrote:
Glad to know it helps you too. 8)

I'll have to look into gpx a bit more for generating waypoint files (such as the link below) since it is a more universal format:
http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Content/topo.php
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Wilderness Area HPs

Postby JoeGrim » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:28 pm

Illinois redone and posted on the first post in this thread. With new, better boundaries, most HPs were moved slightly, as many were right on or near the boundaries.
Last edited by JoeGrim on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeGrim

Postby JoeGrim » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:34 pm

Indiana redone and posted at the beginning of this thread. Only wilderness HP was originally correct.
JoeGrim

Postby JoeGrim » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:43 pm

Louisiana redone and posted at the top of this thread. No changes necessary, although Lacassine Wilderness still has no HP because there are no contours or spot elevations in this wilderness.
JoeGrim

Postby JoeGrim » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Alabama redone and posted in the first message on this thread. No changes were necessary.
JoeGrim

Postby JoeGrim » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Arkansas redone and posted in first message in this thread. Only one real change was made with the updated boundaries.
JoeGrim

Postby JoeGrim » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:27 pm

Maine, Mississippi, Michigan and Minnesota redone and posted in the first message in this thread.
JoeGrim

Postby DSunwall » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:17 am

I don't know where the GPX thread started, but I would be happy to see a GPX file generator. My favorite software "TopoFusion" uses GPX files. TopoFusion Topo's now have shaded relief. It also has a land ownership layer which can be handy. That program keeps getting better and better, just like LOJ.
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:03 am

DSunwall wrote:I don't know where the GPX thread started, but I would be happy to see a GPX file generator. My favorite software "TopoFusion" uses GPX files. TopoFusion Topo's now have shaded relief. It also has a land ownership layer which can be handy. That program keeps getting better and better, just like LOJ.

I've added GPX file generation to my ever-expanding list of planned site enhancements - should be there within a couple weeks.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:23 am

LOJ DREAM SOFTWARE

Google map add on or something similar to TopoFusion. As you scroll around the map, the peaks show up, little icons show up if you have climbed them. Selectable from the menu bar, all kinds of options, like 13ers only, climbed by certain members, etc. Of course clicking on the peak gives you the peak stats. Then a waypoint upload that uploads all the waypoints on the screen. yeah, I could go on and on, basically LOJ on a map. :wicked:
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:14 am

DSunwall wrote:I don't know where the GPX thread started, but I would be happy to see a GPX file generator. My favorite software "TopoFusion" uses GPX files.

GPX generator:
http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Content/gpx.php

Also linked from Member Profiles, Stats, Tools->Tools-> on the main page
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby JoeGrim » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:10 pm

Nevada redone. No changes in this go-around. Am wondering about one HP, which may be a peak interpolated higher than currently listed ranked peak. More info on this can be found in the comments in the Excel file, which is attached to the first post in this thread.
JoeGrim

Postby JoeGrim » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:31 am

Nebraska and Missouri redone and posted in first item in this thread. No new issues.
JoeGrim

PreviousNext

Return to Lists in the Works