Wilderness Area lists

Potential lists to add to the existing array

MapXchange

Postby John Kirk » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:04 am

MapXchange in TOPO! has been helpful (updating to the most current quad version often shows the boundaries better).

Found the Mount Richthofen Quad as of 2000:
Attachments
ns.JPG
richthofen
ns.JPG (114.82 KiB) Viewed 3275 times
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:14 am

I thought I should have the latest quads since I purchased the road and map update last year. But my Richthofen Quad is dated 1977. I tried the MapXchange tool several times today and it tells me no updates for this area??
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:44 am

Can you post a screen shot of your 'My Map Collection TOPO!' dialog when trying this?
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:56 am

It may be I didn't get a complete good update when I installed the latest version here on my work computer, I'll try it later on my home PC. Here is the screen shot.
Attachments
my map topo (Large).jpg
my map topo
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Strange...

This is what I get (100 mile radius):
Attachments
untitled1.jpg
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:07 pm

Topo! has the funkiest software updates I have ever seen, windows pop up underneath existing windows, etc. I missed one step. I noticed that first when my search function didn't work after installing the update. I reinstalled at home and found the missing step, but I haven't at work yet, could be the problem.

Topo! works in strange ways, I often have a hard time understanding their scheme.

EDIT: doesn't work from home either, I have an email out to tech support.
DSunwall

Postby DSunwall » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:20 am

Dwight,

Thank you for contacting National Geographic Maps.

Mount Richtofen is dated year 2000 on our server. This problem is most likely due to copying the data CD-ROMs to the hard drive using an older version of TOPO! 4.x that had a problem not preserving the date-time stamps on the quad files, but instead replacing them with the date they were being copied. This leads TOPO! to believe that your map is more current than the one on our map server (which is incorrect).

To fix this problem, you'll need to delete 2 things:

1. The TOPO! data CD-ROM folder from your hard drive, which are named like "CO_D02", "CO_D03", etc, and probably located at: "C:\Program Files\TOPO!\Data CDs"

2. Also delete all the files located in the following folder: "C:\Program Files\TOPO!\TPO_DATA\Catalogs\modtimes" (these files end in .tpm).

Then, we suggest updating to version 4.5.0, and try searching again. We fixed the problem mentioned above, so data CD-ROMs can be recopied to the hard drive using 4.5.0 if desired.

I hope that this information assists.

Technical Support
National Geographic Maps
Evergreen, CO
topo@ngs.org
DSunwall

Postby DSunwall » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:54 pm

The suggested fix did work, unfortunately I had purchased the early V4x Upgrade which gave the wrong file dates to the map data. Upgradeing to V4.5 and reloading the CD's did the trick. I checked for quad updates for all of Colorado, must have been 3 or 4 hundred of them, it took roughly an hour to download them all.

The newer Sangre De Cristo border shows now, wish I would have done the updates earlier! I rechecked the peaks and found no changes.

Some of the Weminuche Quads were updated but the SW ones are still from the 60's. I did find two peaks that I had in the WA that are not according to the updated maps. Pt. 10620A and Trout Mtn. are not in the Wilderness.
DSunwall

Curecanti national recreation area

Postby DSunwall » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:51 pm

5 peaks - Curecanti Needle looks interesting.
Attachments
Curecanti national recreation area.csv
Curecanti Nat. Rec Area.csv
(300 Bytes) Downloaded 68 times
DSunwall

Canyons of the Ancients National Monument

Postby DSunwall » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:55 pm

Canyons of the Ancients National Monument

the only information I have is that it is 10 miles north or Cortez and 3 miles west of Delores, there are no peaks in that area.
DSunwall

Previous

Return to Lists in the Works