Mountain Range HPs

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Mountain Range HPs

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:43 pm

One of the things Bob was evidently keeping track of is the HP of Mountain Ranges in Colorado. Is there currently a way to navigate to this in the LOJ database, or is this something that can be created without tons of difficulty? How many ranges are there? What about the sub-ranges (Ruby Range, Never Summer, etc.)?
Jeremy Hakes

Postby John Kirk » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:02 pm

We made some comments before about developing a more refined range list:
http://listsofjohn.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=234

The consensus is Bob's Range list is not acceptable. This type of thing gets to be pretty arbitrary, and some inconsistent decisions would need to be made to develop anything.

problematic examples:
What is the "true" boundary of the Sneffels Range - does it include the "T" peaks (if not, what about Dallas and "T 0") - what about the Ice Lakes Basin Area - is that a separate range?

Is Anthracite Range really a range (two ranked peaks)?

Why are Pikes Peak and Mount Evans considered part of the Front Range while the Rampart Range in between gets its own range? Kenosha Mountains? Platte River Mountains? Retirement Range? Puma Hills?

Does every USGS name that ends with "Hills" imply a range?

I think it is best to let this concept of Range HPs die...
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:39 pm

Ho-----boy. Evidently, his list isn't ... comprehensive. And I can totally see where this is something that probably needs more work than is worthwhile, as there are no definitive boundaries. :disturbed:

I don't think I'll include this in the update for the CMC.
Jeremy Hakes

Return to Lists in the Works