Wilderness HPs List

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Postby DSunwall » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:27 pm

I do like the idea of wilderness area peak lists, LCW has been fun. So, keep trying. :-D

I suspect you will adventually have all peaks listed not just high points.
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:15 pm

DSunwall wrote:I do like the idea of wilderness area peak lists, LCW has been fun. So, keep trying. :-D

Well, at least now we have names and can work on one wilderness area at a time :-P :chair:

One real benefit of wilderness area lists is not having to worry about trespassing
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby JoeGrim » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:12 pm

DSunwall wrote:FYI
I got the GPX files for the boundaries from TopoFusion.

You may have them already? under Window/GIS Layers you can download them.

Dwight,
I just followed your directions and saw that indeed you can get the boundaries with Topofusion. That's awesome!

John,
Let me know which state you would like me to start with, and I'll get going. Also, let me know everything that you need me to jot down (e.g., peak lat, lon, elevation, saddle lat&lon, etc.)
JoeGrim

Postby JoeGrim » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:15 pm

I just zoomed in on the Topofusion ones and they are a bit coarse resolution too, so I'll verify with other more detailed maps (e.g., NG TI) if necessary and if available. Using my previous example, Iron Mountain is shown within the Topofusion boundaries for Neota, but the NG TI map show that it's just outside, making Thunder Mountain the highpoint.
JoeGrim

Postby John Kirk » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:07 am

Let me know which state you would like me to start with, and I'll get going. Also, let me know everything that you need me to jot down (e.g., peak lat, lon, elevation, saddle lat&lon, etc.)

Do you have all states available with your software?

Here are the states I have to work with, so any other than these would be prefered, but feel free to start on any, and just let me know:
AK
AZ
CA
CO
ID
MT
NC
ND
NM
NV
OR
SC
SD
TX
UT
WA
WY

You could also work on the rest of the full peaks lists for wilderness areas of CO if you prefer.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:27 am

I will start on the Eagles Nest Wilderness area. Are TI maps are the best source for the boundaries? other than the rough one I have for TopoFusion.
DSunwall

Postby JoeGrim » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:58 am

For my own purposes, I've already compiled all the named and ranked peaks for the Rawah, Comanche Peak, Neota and Cache la Poudre Wilderness Areas in Colorado. I'll double check everything using the USGS boundaries on Topofusion and send it along to you, John, some time this weekend. If there's a discrepancy between the Topofusion boundaries and the NG TI boundaries and it results in a peak being either included or not, I'll make sure to note them.

Then I'll start on the highpoints for the Wilderness Areas in the following states, in the given order:
IN
IL
MI
WI

I've lived in IN and IL, and I often went on vacation in MI and WI, so these states interest me a lot. After that, I'll probably work on the Appalachian states, unless someone else is.
JoeGrim

Postby DSunwall » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:19 pm

Eagles Nest Wilderness has 94 peaks. boundaries verified with a Lat. 40 map.

the mighty Weminuche is next so ken Nolan can determine if he has done them already. I suspect Mike G. is done as well.
Attachments
Eagles Nest Wilderness.csv
Eagles Nest Wilderness.csv
(6.87 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
DSunwall

Postby JoeGrim » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:08 pm

DSunwall wrote:boundaries verified with a Lat. 40 map.

What's a Lat. 40 map?

The coarse USGS boundaries on Topofusion and nationalatlas.org (including the coordinates listed here at http://listsofjohn.com/Misc/wild/wild.php) have been frustrating. I have used NG TI to verify, but I'm not certain if those are 100% reliable. I wish I could find a way to know the exact boundaries, because so many peaks and especially highpoints lie on or near the boundaries. Thanks for any help you can give.
JoeGrim

Postby DSunwall » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:17 pm

I have an email off to ASKUSGS about the boundaries, they probably will refer me to the same coordinates we have here.

Latitude 40 maps are similar to TI maps, I think they are a little higher quality. Same story with Sky Terrain maps. I feel pretty confident with the Wilderness area boundaries on them. hmm, maybe I will email them and ask where they get border information.

http://latitude40maps.com/
http://www.skyterrain.com/
DSunwall

Postby JoeGrim » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:45 pm

Thanks, although those maps don't end up covering my wilderness areas. Oh well. :-)
JoeGrim

Postby DSunwall » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:36 am

I am trying to cover the Weminuche with a TI map, it is more difficult than using the lat40 map I had for Eagles nest.

The GIS file doesn't show the west needles as being in the Wilderness area at all, the TI map does. In some places it does take some time to translate the topo lines between USGS maps and the TI map, but I believe I adventually have determined most of them. I would say if one peak cannot be 100% decided to put it on the list rather than leave it off. I would rather have climbed an extra peak than to have missed one. It will be easier in the future to notice that one on the list shouldn't be there than to notice that one is missing, especially unnamed peaks.

It seems odd that the boundaries on the USGS maps just disappear and reappear so much on the maps, kind of like Lost Creek, (the creek itself). The Lost Creek Wilderness Area is completely defined on the USGS maps whereas most of the others are not.
DSunwall

Postby JoeGrim » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:40 am

By the way, I have finished the Rawah, Comanche Peak, Neota and Cache la Poudre Wilderness areas.

There were several iffy peaks that were on or within the boundaries on one map, but not another, so I noted those and have left it up to John to decide if they are included.
JoeGrim

Postby DSunwall » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:02 pm

Weminuche list done, 271 ranked and named peaks. I had to use 2 lat40 maps and one TI map.
Attachments
Wenimuche Wilderness.csv
Weminuche Wilderness peaks.csv
(19.7 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
DSunwall

Postby DSunwall » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:25 pm

Hey Dwight,

I usually get my boundary data from USGS & National Forest Service, and compare the two, plus any county data. I also use BLM data. Sorry I can't send you any data. Have a good one, K

Sky Terrain

PO Box 808
Boulder, CO 80306

www.skyterrain.com

tel:303.442.5515
fax:303.494.5396
DSunwall

PreviousNext

Return to Lists in the Works