Closest 50 = SWEET

Potential lists to add to the existing array

Closest 50 = SWEET

Postby Ryan Kowalski » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:17 pm

Wow, John, this is such a simple idea, but it hadn't even crossed my mind. Enter a coordinate find out what's close. This is a GREAT idea. Thanks for doing this one.
Ryan Kowalski

Postby John Kirk » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:34 pm

Jeremy asked for this one conceptually - I had in the past accomplished via changing my own coordinates upon logging in, but this is now less work. Interesting how things can vary depending on the member you choose for the same coords (based on what they have left in that area).

And now off on a tangent:
From a members' distance measurement of the 50th closest, we could compare a given radius apples to apples now rather having skewed data owing to how far away someone lives from mountains.

I wonder what makes sense as an epicenter that our members' distance to the 50th closest could be judged from? The highest point in the state? The most prominent point in the state? The geographic center of the state?

Using Mount Elbert as the center, here are some stats of how far away in miles 50th closest is:

Mike Garratt - 44.23
Teresa Gergen - 21.22
Gerry Roach - 17.46
John Kirk - 13.87
Ryan Kowalski - 12.71
If no peaks have been done at all: 10.62

Tangent 2:
To take away the effect of the locality chosen, we could take an average of several 50th closest chosen spots. The more spots we add, the closer we get to what we could already tell just by looking at someone's total peaks. :wiz:
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RyanSchilling » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:01 pm

Okay, I can't find this feature. :oops: Where is it located?
RyanSchilling

Postby John Kirk » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:45 pm

It is under the first heading, New Content - the last selection:
Attachments
50clos.jpg
50clos.jpg (88.36 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:43 am

Yeah, this is a really cool, handy feature not just for home or visiting in state (seeing the family or friends in a different town), but also out in other western states. Freakin' cool! :) Thanks, John. Again, your site proves to be one of the (if not the) best site going for mountains. I wish cohp.org would do their site like yours. Their site would be so much more useful.
Jeremy Hakes

Return to Lists in the Works