North American Peaks

Potential lists to add to the existing array

North American Peaks

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:21 pm

What about a list of North American "centennials?" I believe a lot of folks here have climbed some of the Mexican volcanoes, as well as some of the big peaks in Alaska and Canada, and there's nowhere to note that. Plus - it would be cool to see where some of the Colorado 14ers (and state high points) fall, exactly, in the "North American 100." If, indeed, they do.
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Postby John Kirk » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:45 am

Susan,

I could pick the quick excuse that the scope of the site is US only, but I have been thinking about things like this behind the scenes. On the topic of the US, more and more lately, it seems the information gap on Alaska is presents itself. Alaska complete to Prominence of 300' is planned for a future date, and I might begin soon on the highest 100 to put some other issues to rest once and for all. Country highpoints doesn't really address Mexico or Canada, but it is something I have thought about adding in the near future. Canada's highest might also be a near future project. I'm fairly sure 14ers would fare well in the North American 100. The difficulty in developing a NA highest list is greater than most would think since it has never been done with a consistent metric (and no doubt some will be unhappy with how to determine what makes a peak). I'll forewarn that 300' prominence is the standard (not some greater figure like 2,000' to make a ranked peak in AK)- I want to compare apples to apples.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:29 am

John Kirk wrote:The difficulty in developing a NA highest list is greater than most would think since it has never been done with a consistent metric (and no doubt some will be unhappy with how to determine what makes a peak). I'll forewarn that 300' prominence is the standard (not some greater figure like 2,000' to make a ranked peak in AK)- I want to compare apples to apples.

I say: It's your site. If people don't agree with your criteria, they can track their peaks somewhere else. OK - maybe a bit harsh, but I do understand that you're never going to please everyone. If you're the first to attempt such a feat though, you then have the luxury of "setting the standard," so to speak. So - let the controversy begin!

I have a number of 14er lists that I follow - yours, 14ers.com, the CMC's... the way I see it, I get to celebrate finishing the 14ers over, and over, and over again :-)

Thanks for the response, and I look forward to whatever you decide. And thanks for providing this service, John - it sure beats the heck out of my big ugly spreadsheet.

Susan
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Return to Lists in the Works