Does anyone recognize these peaks?

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Does anyone recognize these peaks?

Postby KirkB » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:21 am

I was asked to identify, if at all possible, a large number of unlabeled digital photographs stored on a (late) friend's computer (in a folder named "Colorado Sept 2012").

Over the past two weeks I have been able to positively identify over 60 of these (most were either taken along the Peak To Peak Highway, within the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area, in the area bounded by Kenosha & Guanella Passes, along sections of the Lost Creek Wilderness area east of Tarryall Creek or in nearby South Park, all of which I'm very familiar with).

Two, however, have completely stumped me: they look familiar but, for the life of me, I cannot figure out where they were taken...this despite hundreds of hours spent "flying" over the mountains of northeast Colorado on Google Earth or scanning through page after page of mountain photos via this most invaluable website.

I've used every technique I know including analyzing vegetation types (to determine latitude & altitude), measuring sunlight angles (to determine orientation), estimating atmospheric quality (to get a "smog index" suggesting direction & proximity to Front Range cities), looking up Doppler/FAA radar locations (the ridge to the left of the mountain above the meadow seems to have one on it) and poring over National Geographic TOPO! maps (to find similar features and/or layout, etc.), all to no avail.

Any help this forum can provide will be most sincerely appreciated.
Kirk
Attachments
UnknownMtn_01.jpg
Forested ridge to left of center appears to have a radar dome atop it
UnknownMtn_02.jpg
KirkB

Re: Does anyone recognize these peaks?

Postby mikeofferman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:47 pm

I have not narrowed it down, but I think that the second photo is of Bierstadt in the center with Evans on the right. Looks like Guanella Pass down in the valley to the left. I have a photo from Mt Logan that is about the right angle. Maybe around Kataka Mt?
mikeofferman

Postby KirkB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:55 am

Mike,
You nailed it!
I thought it looked familiar (although this is an angle I've never seen these two peaks from: Sean's MO to a T).
It took me awhile (I was looking from the wrong side of both peaks) but I was finally able to line everything up to match almost perfectly (see attached Google Earth "photo").
Now if we could just get some hits on the other photo (which I've pretty much given up on otherwise).
In the meantime, Sean's wife has sent me more photos she found from that same trip which I'm slowly pushing my way through.
It's obvious to me that I'm gonna have to revisit all these areas this summer if at all possible!
Many thanks for your input,
Kirk
Attachments
UnknownMtn_02.jpg
GE_MtBierstadt-MtEvans.jpg
View from the southeast side
KirkB

Postby lukePlumley » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:04 am

The top photo looks like Devils Head from the south. Compare with these pics on LOJ.

lp
lukePlumley

Postby KentonB » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Definitely Devils Head. Here's a pic I took from Turtle Mountain. It's "almost" the right angle. Looks like the pic was taken just a little more to the east from where I'm at? I'll have to play with Google Earth and see.

Devils Head.jpg
KentonB

Postby KirkB » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:57 am

Thanks for both your replies.
Devils Head, actually, was the only 9,000 foot peak I hesitated over long enough to check it out on Google Earth but, because I couldn't find any long valleys (with lakes) in direct line with it closer than 10-15 miles away (I had a couple other photos showing this more clearly), I dismissed it for the time being and looked elsewhere.
When you suggested it might be this peak, Luke, I was forced to reconsider Devils Head in a serious way.
And following your contribution, Kenton, from further away atop Turtle, it hit me that the photo I had been working from was most likely taken through a telephoto from a very long distance away, shortening the apparent distance between foreground and background.
Once again I fired up GE and lined the peak up so that it corresponded to the photo in hand (as closely as the limitations of GE would allow it) and then purposely panned back until I found a long valley in line with it and voila: I ended up at Manitou Lake Recreation Area (north of Woodland Park) which was where (I learned from an email received late last night) Sean had planned to spend part of Labor Day weekend (this location also solved 8-10 other photos, too general to post here).
I also learned from this email that he took this trip, in part, to test out a new toy for his Canon, a $1,800 telephoto lens (complete with its own backpack).
Meanwhile, I'm plowing my way through the next two dozen plus photographs: there may well be yet another post coming.
Thanks for everyone's help in solving this mystery.
kb
KirkB

Return to Colorado Peaks