Mount Mestas

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Mount Mestas

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:00 am

Has anyone been up Mount Mestas, La Veta Pass, via a legal route? It looks like a big pile of loose rock surrounded by private property, but I think most of it's on BLM land. Is anyone aware of a trail? Thanks in advance for any info/advice.
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Re: Mount Mestas

Postby KentonB » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:18 am

I haven't hiked in that area, but the Huerfano County Assessor's site might be helpful. It's a little slow/tricky to work with and align to a topographical map, but it does seem to show a corner of BLM land that has access to Hwy 160 SSW of the peak. You might be able to pull off on CO Rd 442,find a parking spot... then jaywalk the highway... and make a beeline for the summit?
KentonB

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Thanks Kenton! I may give that a shot.
susanjoypaul

Postby TeresaGergen » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:03 pm

This is the best site I've seen for looking up land status in CO:
http://ndis-flex.nrel.colostate.edu/HuntingAtlas/

It shows state land as well as NFS and BLM. This is what you get if you search for Mount Mestas. The orange areas are BLM. The south side is steeper and looser than approaching from the west and the saddle with Rough.

Mestas.jpg
TeresaGergen

Postby KentonB » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:31 pm

That's a great site Teresa! I'm going to add it to my Favorites for future planning... It's certainly a lot easier to read.
KentonB

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:44 am

Thanks Teresa - that's helpful. Did you use the 4WD road/trail on the north side to get to Rough and 10367 or come in from the highway? The south side does look very steep and loose - I found just one trip report and the writer basically recommended not doing it. Trying to find a friendlier yet still legal way to get to the top.
susanjoypaul

Postby TeresaGergen » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:51 am

I parked in a large pullout on the other side of the highway and crossed the highway on foot. I'm afraid there may have been a fence or two involved. The roads to the NE are heavily housed.
TeresaGergen

Postby TWorth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:19 am

I also had good luck going up from the saddle with Rough in 2005. Less steep than the other sides. Rough is no problem from there as well. Don't recall any trails.

On the 24K Map there is an old gravel pit off US160 which is a possible starting point. Still private, but a lot of those old mining lands, its an absentee owner situation. Its either that, or ask one of the homeowners along US160, or start early.

One chossy mountain, for sure.
TWorth

Return to Colorado Peaks