dhgold completes Boulder County Ranked Peaks list!

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

dhgold completes Boulder County Ranked Peaks list!

Postby lukePlumley » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:55 pm

On September 28 dhgold completed the Boulder County ranked peaks list with a climb of Mahana Peak and Isolation Peak!

Congratulations Dave! What are your thoughts on this list? Most, least enjoyable? On to the next list!

lp
lukePlumley

Re: dhgold completes Boulder County Ranked Peaks list!

Postby dhgold » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:20 am

Thanks. It took my awhile to get going on this: Diamond/Longs in '89 then nothing until Dream Weaver/Meeker in 2001. In 2009 I had shoulder surgery and discovered LOJ and the pace picked up.

The two most challenging peaks for me were 10583 (brutal postholing) and 8315 (nutcase inholding homeowner, apparently on guard 24/7 with telescope and motion detectors, called rangers who were waiting when I returned to the parking lot causing me to walk home nine miles; I felt like Jean Val Jean when the rangers showed up at my house a week later.

In the surprisingly enjoyable category were Coffin Top and 7201 which has become my crowd free Sanitas substitute.
dhgold

Postby lukePlumley » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:20 am

7201 was surprising for us too. We found a dead guy up there in 2007! :shock: :shock:

http://climbinglife.com/latest-news/10- ... n-top.html

Sorry to hear about the ranger situation. Those "closed open spaces" are pretty frustrating.

lp
lukePlumley

Postby dhgold » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:30 am

Judging from the summit register, 7021 now receives far too many ascents for a body to reach that state of decomposition unless the climbers are extremely unobservant.

Related topic: I found a completely unexpected plane wreck hidden in the trees on Stoll Mountain in Park County and approached it half expecting to find the remains of the pilot but NTSB seemed to have gotten there first.
dhgold

Postby jmbrooks8 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:00 pm

Congrats! Tough set of pks! Way to accelerate through the finish line!

I remember 8315 as a nice hike from picnic ground off Hwy 7, directly N of the pk. Gain the NNE ridge. Avoided the temptation to visit the ruins though.

7201 & Coffintop - great pks - liked them a lot too.
jmbrooks8

Postby Brian Kalet » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:57 pm

Congrats!

How much snow did you encounter on Mahana & Isolation?
Brian Kalet

Postby John Kirk » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:57 am

Nice work Dave
:rock:
I also finished with Isolation and Mahana (and Tanima). Great peaks to finish on...
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Steve Knapp » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:11 am

Excellent, congrats on your 4th county completion Dave. Interesting story on 8315, I guess the rest of us just got lucky there. Good to know for future climbers to use caution there.
Steve Knapp

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:07 pm

dhgold wrote:Judging from the summit register, 7021 now receives far too many ascents for a body to reach that state of decomposition unless the climbers are extremely unobservant.

Related topic: I found a completely unexpected plane wreck hidden in the trees on Stoll Mountain in Park County and approached it half expecting to find the remains of the pilot but NTSB seemed to have gotten there first.

Whoah! That's crazy stuff. I checked out the plane wreck on Blodgett down on the AFA campus, but that was well-known and publicized.

Congrats, Dave. You're a machine. :)
Jeremy Hakes

Postby dhgold » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:51 am

Brian
There was continuous snow about three to six inches deep above 12000' which offered firm footing on the ascent of Mahana. It was softening during the ascent of Iso and melting rapidly on the way down.
dhgold

Return to Colorado Peaks