State Line Pk.

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

State Line Pk.

Postby AaronIhinger » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:06 pm

Gerry, I notice you have climbed this one recently... I was wondering if you would share your access info. I don't know that edge of the Sangres very well, and it is hard to tell from maps what roads are public or private. I know there is lots of private, but just what public roads get you close enough, and keep you off of private land? Thanks! anyone else in the know, feel free to answer... Thanks again
AaronIhinger

Postby GerryRoach » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:54 pm

Aaron,

Myself and others did this legally over the July 4th weekend as part of the first Cielo Vista Ranch Mountaineer's weekend. After paying the requisite fee ($100/day/person) the ranch foreman Carlos unlocked the southern gate and we drove up ranch roads to near treeline NE of State Line. These Ranch Roads are not well indicated on the quads. Bob Ader, Jennifer and myself spent 3 days traversing the range from State Line to Whiskey Pass, bagging 16 peaks in the process. That was $18.75 per peak - pretty good deal!

The ranch closes to climbers during hunting season. My advice is to play by the rules, wait until next year, and go in legally.
GerryRoach

Thanks Gerry!

Postby AaronIhinger » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:16 pm

I didn't figure there were any public roads that way. That seems like a really good plan though... Leave a vehicle up North, and pay for one day, I like it.
AaronIhinger

Postby kirkmallory » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:39 pm

They paid $300 for the 3-day backpack traverse. The map we were given by the ranch showed a road that connected the HQ to the southern area within the ranch, but the road was washed out by a creek. We had to exit the ranch at the main gate and drive south via county roads. I was part of that group - Me and four others joined Gerry, Jennifer, and Bob as they started their backpack, we included UN 11,820 too. The ranch let me do an extra day (Friday 7/1) so that I could climb every peak on the ranch (except Culebra and Red) - 18 ranked and 2 soft-ranked peaks. That came to $20/peak if you count the 2 soft ranked peaks ($22.22 not counting them). Guess my dollar per peak wasn't as good as Gerry's! But it was still well worth it - this area had been the sticking point for me finishing the bi's and tri's this year.

I think the ranch's plan is to open the entire ranch on July 4th and Labor Day weekends, charging a flat $300 for the 3 days. It might be more difficult to get access to areas other than Culebra & Red on the other weekends, but you never know. Keep that in mind for next year!
kirkmallory

Postby Forrest Thorniley » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:09 pm

Hey Aaron, I plan on doing the 3 day peak fest next year when its scheduled. I'll probably have two friends going too. Let me know if youd like to join the posse :D
Forrest Thorniley

Return to Colorado Peaks