Columbus Mountain Routt County + Bakers Peak Moffat County

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Columbus Mountain Routt County + Bakers Peak Moffat County

Postby Scott Patterson » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:55 pm

I would like to finish off the 9er and 10er peaks in the Elkhead Mountains. Two peaks elude me.

Columbus Mountain is on public land, but a narrow strip of private land between the NFS and BLM land seems to block access. The people in the NFS don't off hand know who owns the land, so I wouldn't know who to contact for permission. I noticed that some LoJ members have climbed the peak, so it appears that it can be done.

Baker Peak has the same problem, but unlike Columbus, it doesn't seem like you can even get close to the mountain. Does anyone know how to get permission?
Scott Patterson

Re: Columbus Mountain Routt County + Bakers Peak Moffat Coun

Postby KentonB » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:11 am

Scott,

I wasn't completely certain what direction you were approaching Columbus... The mountain itself appears to be on BLM, and (as you implied, NFS land is to the southeast. Most of the area directly to the south, east, and west of the peak is owned by a ranch:

Three Forks Ranch Corp.
P.O. Box 69
Savery, WY 82332-0069

However, depending on your approach, there are others properties in this area that you might be crossing. For example, directly south and southeast of the ranch is property owned by "Kirk & Kristine Shiner". To the southwest of Three Forks is "Chicken Creek Ranch". Routt County has a GIS mapping tool that is kind of primitive, but with some patience, it does work and will allow you to see what land you may be crossing:

http://maps.co.routt.co.us/website/parcels/index.asp

I have to run to work at the moment, but if you need more help, feel free to drop me an e-mail (vertical14000 (at) gmail (dot) com).
KentonB

Postby Scott Patterson » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:03 pm

I wasn't completely certain what direction you were approaching Columbus...

From Slater Park and the southeast because it would require the shortest travel on private land. I'll try contacting the Three Forks Ranch. Thanks.
Scott Patterson

Postby KentonB » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:58 pm

It looks like there's a dirt road (Gold Blossom Rd?) heading north-south to Boyer Reservoir to the East of Columbus. I'm not sure if it's accessible, but if it is, BLM land extends eastward overlapping this road. Again, IF it's accessible, you could hike entirely on BLM land from this route.

I've attached a picture of what I'm talking about below:

BLM.jpg
KentonB

Postby KentonB » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:21 pm

I also looked up Bakers Peak (I assume you're referring to the nearby summit in Moffat County?). Based on satellite imagery, it appears there's a house almost on the summit! According to the Moffat County Assessor, that property is owned by "Dudley & Tika Towery". The site had a mailing address too, but I'd rather not post it openly on the web. Drop me an e-mail if you'd like to pursue it.
KentonB

Return to Colorado Peaks