DHatfield -- 1st completer of Fremont County Ranked Peaks!

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

DHatfield -- 1st completer of Fremont County Ranked Peaks!

Postby lukePlumley » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:48 am

On the 4th of July DHatfield became the 1st known completer of the Fremont County Ranked Peaks List on the summit of Crown Point.

Congratulations Doug! This looks like a huge list of relatively unknown summits. I would imagine it also includes significant private property issues. What did you enjoy most about the list? Are there any little hidden gems in the list that you would recommend to us?

You might own this list for a long time. Well done!

lp
lukePlumley

Re: DHatfield -- 1st completer of Fremont County Ranked Peak

Postby Kevin Baker » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:11 pm

Way to go, Doug! He summits Denali and then he comes back and caps it off with a Fremont county finisher. I kind of lost the desire to finish the county with all the rough bushwacks involved, many in steep desert terrain. How many of the 164 would you guess have access issues, Doug?
Kevin Baker

Postby Steve Knapp » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:36 am

Congrats Doug! Nice job being the first to finish Fremont county. Big difference from Denali to the scrub and cactus of Fremont. That's a tough list to complete. I try to get in there once in a while, mainly so I can appreciate other areas. :-D The Gribble Mtn quad seems to have the worst stuff I've found anywhere.

Would love to hear more about your experiences down there. Where are all the pics and TR's? Most of those peaks still need pictures.
Steve Knapp

Postby John Kirk » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:15 am

Good job Doug. This was not a county I imagined would be completed even by all members collectively at this point in time. In 2006 only 30-40 summits had been climbed by all members (for good reason). This is definitely a list that requires hard work, persistence, bravery, dedication and a good dose of masochism.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DHatfield » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Thanks everyone!

lukePlumley: Yes, there were many summits that were pretty much unclimbed at least per LOJ's, however as usual a very few did have ascends prior to me just not LOJ members. As to private property there were several mostly in the northern tier as well as the south tier of the county that has access issue, however most along the Arkansas River are surprisingly in BLM land or state land trusts areas. It was much easier access wise then Custer County for sure. The biggest thing I liked about doing that list is so many peaks nobody has done and figuring out a way up it without any beta. As to hidden jems that ones I liked the most was Point 7,516, Point 7,741, Point 7,363, Lookout Mountain, and Point 8,759, Point 7,940 having excellent scrambles to there summits. Point 8,093, Point 7,763, Point 7,580, and Point 7,363 has incredible views of the Arkansas River valley. Yea, I'm sure not many are going to want to do those nasty peaks with the heat, scrub oak (mostly the northern and east peaks), loose steep rocky slopes that at time I thought about stop working on the list.

KevinBaker: From what I remember about 85 of the 164 (51%) were on private property. However most are pretty easy doing despite that fact other then the Table Mountain group that you haven't done yet as well as the Delilia Peak Group, and the Green Mountain Group are the only ones that have tough access issues that I solved by moon lighting them. After getting off of Denali I was a little tired of snow and wanted something a little drier, however low and behold those last 5 were brutally hot and very stiff bushwacking. Finding a way up Point 7,363 ended up being loaded with scrub oak city and massive boulder getting up that making it a real bugger.

Steve Knapp: Yea I was thinking that the final day I finished Fremont County thinking "what the heck this heat is killing me", I really should of waited until winter to finish, but being so close I just figured might as well knock them last little puppies off. LOL, hike down there too much and you will definitely think other areas are much nicer. Oh there are a few that get worse then Gribble, but that ranks pretty high up the list. I think after Fremont and Custer I'm a pretty harden soul now with all that nasty bushwhacking. Pics I have many and hope to load some up for Fremont and Custer Counties now that I'm done. TR's, what are those?

JohnKirk: I would totally agree with what you said. I feel that list will remain untouched for sometime. As mentioned earlier I almost thought about giving up at a time or two.
DHatfield

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:43 am

Nice work, Doug!
Jeremy Hakes

Postby John Kirk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:58 pm

Found a new peak on the Cooper Mountain Quad:
6,660 - 320' prominence
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:38 pm

Good news is it looks like a road goes awfully close to the summit...
Jeremy Hakes

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun May 05, 2013 7:19 am

Again!

Way to go Doug!
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Postby lukePlumley » Sun May 05, 2013 6:06 pm

Way to knock it out Doug! Still #1...
lukePlumley

Postby Steve Knapp » Mon May 06, 2013 10:32 am

Congrats again Doug, didn't take you too long to climb the new peak. Nice to go finish the list before one of those other clowns finishes. :)
Steve Knapp

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Mon May 06, 2013 11:23 am

susanjoypaul wrote:Again!

Way to go Doug!

Where's the TR? :-D
Jeremy Hakes

Postby Brian Kalet » Mon May 06, 2013 2:12 pm

Jeremy Hakes wrote:Where's the TR? :-D

How was the access for this one?

Congratulations; this list takes a lot of perseverance...
Brian Kalet

Postby DHatfield » Tue May 07, 2013 7:37 am

Thanks guys!

Steve, well I couldn't wait too long as there were two crazy clowns that could finish their remaining 3 peaks in one day if I waited too long so thought I better get it down quickly :-). Beside it's close and was looking for a nice short hike.

Jeremy, I haven't done trip reports in years! Maybe I should again, but I'm usually too busy planning for next weekend.

Brian, I did the peak from the north through Oil Well Flats, which is BLM land so it's all legal except for the last 1.50 miles or so. You can probably do it much shorter distance wise from Phantom Canyon Road, but it appeared to be private property. Yes Fremont County did take lots of perseverance. I thought about giving up more than once! I think I'm an expert now when it comes to scrub oak bashing.
DHatfield

Return to Colorado Peaks