Haikudude finishes Gilpin County Ranked Peaks List!

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Haikudude finishes Gilpin County Ranked Peaks List!

Postby lukePlumley » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:40 am

On June 9, 2011 Haikudude finished off the Gilpin County Ranked Peaks List.

Congratulations on the successful completion! Which peak was your finisher? How did you celebrate? Do you have any exciting stories to tell from your quest?

lp
lukePlumley

Re: Haikudude finishes Gilpin County Ranked Peaks List!

Postby PaulStratmoen » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:34 am

Congrats on your Gilpin county completion! Looks like we were working on the list at about the same time. Too bad we didn't run into each other, although it was probably unlikely - especially since the one time during our quest that we heard other voices in the woods, we quietly hid :shh: for fear of being busted on private property.
PaulStratmoen

Postby Haikudude » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:39 am

Sorry for the late response, just noticed the post. Thanks for noticing Luke. Feels good to get a county on the boards. Gilpin is kind of a scruffy one but fun and beautiful in it's own way. I really enjoyed discovering Robinson Hill Road. I think my favorite summit was actually Mt. Pisgah, nifty bushwhack and great view.

My most memorable experience may have been an embarrassing faux pas on my part... I was doing Montana, Colorado, and Dakota Hill on the same day to finish up. I still don't have a GPS, just old school compass. Anyway, took a sloppy reading for Dakota Hill off of Montana Mountain. I arrived triumphantly on the summit of Dakota Hill and made a celebratory entry in the register that I had finished Gilpin County... then noticed from the register I was actually on Oregon Hill... aaargh! I was so embarrassed I tore my entry out of the register. So I had to wait another hour to celebrate while I scooted over to Dakota.

Paul, Kate, congrats as well. Saw your names in the registers, knew you were close as well. Yes, some of those peaks are "duck and dodge" for sure. All right, next stop, Boulder County...
Haikudude

Postby lukePlumley » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:02 am

Nice, good luck with your last few Boulder Peaks. Enjoy the Forbidden Zone!

lp
lukePlumley

Return to Colorado Peaks