Peak L - Gore Range access

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Peak L - Gore Range access

Postby ClimbingCooneys » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:04 am

Looking for updated info on access to Peak L. A Summit Post trip report suggests using the Boulder Creek Trailhead. The report advises that though you cannot park at that trailhead, you can at least use the Boulder Creek trail to access the Gore range trail. The author suggests that you drive to the end of the road, drop off packs and hikers, drive back down and park around the campground, then ride a bike back up to the end of the road, hide the bike and commence hiking from there. Is this still feasible?
Also would appreciate info about the Brush Creek access as well from the north end. The same report advises 4WD to get to the trailhead there but that seems like the best/shortest route to Peak N.
Beaten paths are for beaten men.
ClimbingCooneys

Re: Peak L - Gore Range access

Postby TeresaGergen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:14 pm

I did N, Guyselman, L, Q, R, and S as a backpack via the Rock Creek, Gore Range, and Slate Creek trails, so I can't help with Boulder Creek. I believe it was the Brush Creek 4WD road that, when wet and muddy, left me shaking in my boots at the bottom and looking for another TH after 2 or 3 tries to get up the lower 20 feet in a Jeep.
TeresaGergen

Postby ClimbingCooneys » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks for the reply, Teresa. Sounds like maybe we should check out that Brush Creek before we commit to accessing that way. Did you see my other post on UN 13,060? I know you've climbed that. Any Advice or suggestions?
ClimbingCooneys

Postby Mike Garratt » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:37 pm

Boulder Creek is private and closed to access. The road has a locked gate not far up from the hwy.
Last I was there a few years back you could park below the gate and walk the road up to the Gore trail and go N or S.
But no more...

For Slate Ck you can come in from Rock Ck.
A long way with a lot of up and down.

Better is from the Brush Ck Thead.
It is 4 WD and not bad if not wet.
The 1st part up from the hwy is rough and slippery when wet.
The road gets better after that.

The Gore trail from the N to Slate Ck is nice and pretty flat.
With a camp at the trailhead I have done a peak or 2 around Slate Lake as a long day hikes.

Rock Ck is too far as a day hike with all the up and down.
Mike Garratt

Postby ClimbingCooneys » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:27 am

Once again, thanks Mike for the info. That can save us some major headache because we were inclined to follow the plan in the Summit Post account to utilize the Boulder access. We'll re-plan our trip now.
ClimbingCooneys

Return to Colorado Peaks