Tick Dome - add a note, perhaps?

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Tick Dome - add a note, perhaps?

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:43 am

John - after visiting the summit of Tick Dome, I think it deserves at least a note for its prominence/ranking. :worms: Yes, I realize that is why we call things "soft ranked". That said, there is a solid BM to the east of the summit, and it is a good 60' below the summit. It is the small plateau area around the summit block. Someone clearly put a BM up there for reference purposes, but unfortunately, there are no elevations shown, other than contours. So, here's the photos:

BM

Associated BM stuff (rebar stake, pole with wire for guy lines)

elevation above BM plateau (Pete below on left for reference with trees)

GPS elevation (which ranged from 8190 to 8202).

BM area from mid-point/belay station of the summit boulders.

So, assuming the elevation of the BM is the 8200' closed contour, I am fairly certain no surveyors visited the summit. The boulder sits at least 60' above the BM, I'd say this is worth at least a "Note: map possibly missing a closed contour" type thing, if not raising it to 300' and ranked and a note.

Thoughts?
Attachments
BM pin.jpg
BM pin
Standard.jpg
Pole, wire, and rebar stake (we found 2 stakes, presumably another is around somewhere.
Summit above BM.jpg
The belay station is visible on the left lower summit boulder (a good 30' below the summit HP)
Elevation.jpg
GPS
BM area from summit midpoint.jpg
From belay station, BM area visible. Summit is still another 30'+ above the belay.
Jeremy Hakes

Re: Tick Dome - add a note, perhaps?

Postby John Kirk » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:50 pm

Seems very unlikely to me that there should be another contour within the tiny contour already there.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:36 pm

Before I was there, I'd agree that was unlikely. After visiting the area, in particular the area surrounding the summit boulder, I'd say it is possible. Especially since we found that BM that someone installed there. The summit boulder itself can be circumnavigated in a minute or two at most. It is similar to the peak across the river - B.R.C.M., which has an large # of very small closed contours on the summit, as does The Turret, all in the same area. Hence my suggestion for at least the note on the page. :wiz:
Jeremy Hakes

Postby John Kirk » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:21 pm

Jeremy Hakes wrote:Before I was there, I'd agree that was unlikely. After visiting the area, in particular the area surrounding the summit boulder, I'd say it is possible. Especially since we found that BM that someone installed there. The summit boulder itself can be circumnavigated in a minute or two at most. It is similar to the peak across the river - B.R.C.M., which has an large # of very small closed contours on the summit, as does The Turret, all in the same area. Hence my suggestion for at least the note on the page. :wiz:

The benchmark means nothing unless there is a spot elevation attributed to it and it lies within bounds of the smallest contour on the map. The size of the contour on the map indicates that the latter is not the case since the contour is 50' wide and that photo shows a distance of at least 100 feet away from the block.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to Colorado Peaks