Side trip while on Sentinel Pt

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Side trip while on Sentinel Pt

Postby Tjohn » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:15 pm

This summer, I plan to hike Sentinel Pt (elev 12,527 ft) in Teller County, CO. While there, I want to do a side excursion to the top of neighboring Unnamed PT 12535. (located on the topo map at Lat 38.8533, Long -105.0945). Or instead I might try nearby PT 12586 (located at Lat 38.8422, Long -105.0917).

Here is my question – Are either of these 2 peaks listed here on the listsofjohn website? I am not able to find them among the list of 12ers in Teller County. Maybe there is not enough rise. However, I would like to get a little more info on either one if possible.

Any suggestions or info on either of these 2 locations?

Thanks,
Tjohn
Tjohn
Tjohn

Re: Side trip while on Sentinel Pt

Postby KentonB » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:39 pm

From a quick estimate, it looks like Point 12535 has a saddle at ~12450 feet with "Devils Playground" which itself is an unranked summit that has Pikes Peak as a Parent. So, you're looking at a prominence of less than 85'.

Point 12586 actually only seems to have about 75' of prominence as it lies along a ridge also connecting it through "Devils Playground"to Pikes Peak.

Sooo... neither peak meets Lists of John's 300-foot prominence requirement. Also, neither are "Named" peaks. As a result, you won't find them listed.

I have not climbed either of these 2, but I have done Sentinel Point. It's a great hike (I assume you're starting from Horsethief Park?). Let me know if you need any background info on Sentinel!

-Kent
KentonB

Postby davebobk47 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Years ago I climbed Sentinel Pt from Devil's Playground. It's a fairly easy hike if you're used to the altitude and a great acclimation hike if not. During the hike we skirted around both of the summits you mentioned. It's a nice area so if you have enough time I would recommend wandering over to them. If you're coming from Horsethief, 12586 shouldn't add too much but 12535 will add a bit of distance and extra gain on the way home. Either way it's a nice place - Enjoy!
davebobk47

Postby Tjohn » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:28 pm

Thanks both of you, for your info. I didn’t realize both peaks connect with Devil’s Playground. I want to visit one of them while I’m up there. If I have time, maybe I’ll hit both in addition to Sentinel! We’ll see.

I’ll start at the TH south of the tunnel on Hwy 67. I was planning to go left at the trail junction of 704 & 704A, then follow trail 704 north and then east to the summit. It looks like that would actually take me away from Horsethief Park. But I can go either route. I don’t know which is easier, harder, steeper, etc. If anyone has info comparing the 2 routes, I would be interested.
Tjohn
Tjohn

Postby KentonB » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:54 pm

Tjohn wrote:Thanks both of you, for your info. I didn’t realize both peaks connect with Devil’s Playground.

Yep, there's a "bit" of a ridge heading north to Devil's playground. From there, it's a sharp right and up to Pikes Peak! :-)

Tjohn wrote:I’ll start at the TH south of the tunnel on Hwy 67. I was planning to go left at the trail junction of 704 & 704A, then follow trail 704 north and then east to the summit.

Actually, where the 2 split is part of Horsethief Park... and that's what I was referring to. It's also the route I took. You should have a trail most of the way... Although I can't verify this as I did it in the winter in snowshoes. After a while we lost the trail and bushwacked to the top.

I tried the other direction once (up 704B) in the winter... I quickly lost the trail in the snow and hit a rock face that was difficult to go around. Due to time constraints, I ended up turning back.

Tjohn wrote:I don’t know which is easier, harder, steeper, etc. If anyone has info comparing the 2 routes, I would be interested.

I think the route you described (and the one I took) is the best way. The slope should be a little easier and there's some beautiful scenery. Just be careful on the way back. It can be a little tricky and I've heard of people heading down the wrong gully and coming out on Hwy 67 a couple miles from their car after a horrible bushwack.
KentonB

Postby Tjohn » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:35 pm

Thanks for the input. That clears up a few things for me. I'll watch the route, so I don't go down the wrong gully on the way back. I've done that before elsewhere.
Tjohn
Tjohn

Postby Tjohn » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:39 pm

I haven’t been on this site for a while so figured I would share how I did last July 2011 on Sentinel Pt.

I summited Sentinel and PT 12586, and it turned out to be a great day. But, on the way down, in spite of my careful efforts to re-locate that hard-to-find trail at treeline, I DIDN’T find it either. I too came down the wrong gully, bushwacked my way back, and ended up on Hwy 67 about a mile north of the TH.

So I was annoyed at myself for not being able to re-connect with it since that was one of my particular objectives. But I must say, from that point on, the day was a true adventure. Forced to rely on my map and compass through the woods, I knew as long as I kept bearing west I would eventually get back to 67, which I did. And I got back to the car in less time than it took me to go up. So, being from Illinois, the day turned out to be a success and a great experience for me. Of course, trying to convince my wife of this, later that evening, was a bit more difficult. :)
Tjohn
Tjohn

Postby KentonB » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:04 pm

Glad you had fun despite the unplanned adventure! :-)
KentonB

Return to Colorado Peaks