Extended parkig at Pitkin Lake Trailhead

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Extended parkig at Pitkin Lake Trailhead

Postby ClimbingCooneys » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:46 am

Having seen that parking for the Pitkin Lake trailhead in Vail is now limited to two days with threat of citation or towing, this is what we did a couple weeks ago when we wanted to do a 4 day backpack on that trail.
Call one of these non-emergency numbers for Vail police: 970-479-2200 or 479-2210 and request "Code Enforcement/Checkpoint Charlie." We spoke to an officer in this division and explained what we wanted to do. The officer took down our car description and license and dates of our trip and gave us the okay to park for the 4 days. Once we parked, we also left a note in the windshield requesting that any officer wanting to cite our vehicle contact the person we talked to in Code Enforcement before doing so. In our case, we talked to a person named "Ryan."
We're not sure if similar limitations exist for the Bighorn parking area or the Gore Creek, but if they do, a similar effort should help. :idea:
Beaten paths are for beaten men.
ClimbingCooneys

Re: Extended parkig at Pitkin Lake Trailhead

Postby TeresaGergen » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:59 am

I hadn't known about the restriction when I showed up there for a longer backpack. I left a note on the windshield saying that I "planned" to be out "on time," but had enough food to stay in "longer" in case the weather didn't cooperate, and might not be out within the stated amount of time, but I was just backpacking and it wasn't an abandoned vehicle. Nothing ever happened, but it's good to let people know that there is a more official alternative to fudging a note on the spur of the moment and worrying the whole time if your car will still be there. Thanks.
TeresaGergen

Return to Colorado Peaks