13'ers south of Red Mt.

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

13'ers south of Red Mt.

Postby markott » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:38 am

Has anyone been able to contact the Cielo Vista Ranch about going up Alamosito creek to climb Vermejo, Alamosito, & Purgatoire peaks? I know that Carole is the contact person at the ranch, let other climbers know how you approached these private mountains. Thanks, Mark Ott
markott

Re: 13'ers south of Red Mt.

Postby TeresaGergen » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:11 am

Searching the internet I've come up with 2 phone numbers for the Cielo Vista Ranch:
719-672-4270 and (254) 897-7872
TeresaGergen

Postby MikeRodenak » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:51 am

A group of us were given permission to climb these peaks for $150 in 2008 through Cielo Vista Ranch. They required us to be a minimum of 5, but I don't know about a 'max' number they would allow for a group. I think our group was the only one that year, and I am not sure if others have tried recently to gain access. The trailhead is nice and high if you have a 4WD vehicle with clearance. Access is from some old logging roads. Its a good thing too, because you cannot get much of an "alpine start", they check you in at the main gate at 6am and then after all of the Culebra folks were off, Carlos led us around to the south gate and gave us directions for how to get to the upper trailhead. It was almost 8am before we left our vehicles! Below is my trip report...

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=4712&parmpeak=Vermejo+Pk&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

On another note, I am interested in contacting them for the peaks north of Culebra, but don't really have the time to do that trip this summer, so will probably try to contact them for that next year.
MikeRodenak

Postby John Kirk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:28 pm

Hey Mike,

Keep me in mind for those peaks North of Culebra for next year (here is a good look at what I have left and have an interest in doing)
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:32 pm

TeresaGergen wrote:Searching the internet I've come up with 2 phone numbers for the Cielo Vista Ranch:
719-672-4270 and (254) 897-7872

is that all you have to say on the subject? :twisted:
DSunwall

Postby MikeRodenak » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:12 am

John Kirk wrote:Hey Mike,

Keep me in mind for those peaks North of Culebra for next year (here is a good look at what I have left and have an interest in doing)

Will do, John!

I will most likely contact them in May and try and talk them into 4th of July weekend for a two day "all you can climb" with backcountry camping on the ranch. We'll see what they say, I am hoping that is not too ambitious of a request :toothless:
MikeRodenak

Postby TeresaGergen » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:06 pm

DSunwall wrote:is that all you have to say on the subject? :twisted:

Heh heh heh. I had more to say to Mark privately before he posted here. He's looking for a legit climb from Alamosito Creek, and I was hoping someone could provide a current phone number for the ranch; I wasn't home when he asked me.

So, Mark, now I am. At the bottom of my gear closet, I found the following information. Carole's phone number is 254-897-9537; start there. The North Headquarters phone number is 719-672-4270. Hopefully that's still current.

Here is a transcript of notes I wrote at the time for access via Alamosito Creek. These must be the road names actually on the signs, which may or may not match any number of maps in existence.

"Immed. after Phillips 66 [assume in San Luis], turn left (SE) on P.6. Go 3.9 mi on P.6 to Chama to a T-intersect. Turn left here onto L.7. Go 0.3 mi on L.7 to 22.3 Rd. Turn right (S) onto 22.3 Rd. Turns to dirt at 0.3 mi. Go straight at 2.0 mi still on 22.3 Rd. At 2.9 mi, turn left (SE) on J.8 Rd. Go 1.6 mi on J.8 Rd to a Y-intersect. Turn right and go another 0.2 mi to J2 Rd. Turn left (SE) on J2 Rd (paved). Go 2.4 mi (less?) on J2: turns to dirt at 0.4 mi, and turn left at a Y-intersect at 2.1 mi. Solid panel green gate."

As I think I mentioned before, with a gate key, we drove 4.9 mi up the Alamosito Creek road, did a loop over 12ers with Purgatoire in the middle, then descended via the San Francisco Creek drainage and roads to a 2nd car; at the time that road was washed out and not drivable more than half a mile up.

Hope that helps.

One other thing you all might want to keep in mind: If the ranch is requiring a minimum group number, it probably doesn't mean you all have to want to hike together and climb the same peaks, probably just that you'll have to start together to get in the gate. It might help to keep track of each other to come up with the minimum number necessary even if you have somewhat different plans.
TeresaGergen

Postby Forrest Thorniley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:07 am

I would like to be considered if you need more people. Im interested in anything over 12,000' and have only done Culebra and Maxwell.

-Forrest
Forrest Thorniley

Return to Colorado Peaks