Boulder Co. high-res topo poster

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Boulder Co. high-res topo poster

Postby JoeGrim » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:49 pm

I've now finished Boulder Co. The map shows all ranked, soft ranked and officially named peaks in the county. I'll be ordering a copy for myself as a 19" x 16" poster. This will make it the same scale as my Larimer Co. map. At 8 cents per square inch, this should come to about $25+taxes. Feel free to do whatever you want with the map, except for selling it. :-) A few friends will be checking it over for typos, but if you find any, please let me know too. In a week or two, I will repost the map with any typos corrected.

http://www.joeandfrede.com/colorado/mis ... r_topo.png
JoeGrim

Re: Boulder Co. high-res topo poster

Postby stevemartin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:44 am

Wow, Joe! You are a busy guy! As you know, I loved your Larimer County High Res poster. Now I get to relish this one, too, as I work my way toward completing the Boulder County peaks. Thanks!! Steve
stevemartin

Postby jmbrooks8 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:08 am

Hey Joe,

Very cool map/poster! Looks like link no longer works. Can you provide again? After review I find the following missing:
N Ridge, Ships Prow, Parachute Hill, Hillish, Boweld Hill, Notabon, NW Sanitas, Deshawa, Bummers Rock, Anemone Mtneer, 1st/2nd/3rd Flatirons, Yuri Pt, E Grn Mtn, S Grn Mtn, Dinosaur Mtn, Seal Rock, Nebel Horn, The Sandcastle, & Hell Hill.

Would be great if you can add some of these.
jmbrooks8

Postby John Kirk » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am

jmbrooks8 wrote:Hey Joe,

After review I find the following missing:
N Ridge, Ships Prow, Parachute Hill, Hillish, Boweld Hill, Notabon, NW Sanitas, Deshawa, Bummers Rock, Anemone Mtneer, 1st/2nd/3rd Flatirons, Yuri Pt, E Grn Mtn, S Grn Mtn, Dinosaur Mtn, Seal Rock, Nebel Horn, The Sandcastle, & Hell Hill.

Would be great if you can add some of these.

Joe said: "The map shows all ranked, soft ranked and officially named peaks in the county" Those above shouldn't be included based on his criteria.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby JoeGrim » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:17 pm

I'm not sure what happened to both the Boulder and Larimer Co. maps on my website. I have just put them back now.

As for adding peaks to the map, you're very welcome to do that on your own. I initially tried adding unofficially-named peaks that weren't ranked (or soft ranked), but these made the maps too cluttered in certain areas, particularly Boulder Mountain Parks. So, I opted to change the criteria to leave those peaks off. Thanks for suggesting those other summits though. If you happen to see any officially named or ranked peaks that I have forgotten, please let me know. Oh, and I know Ships Prow is officially named, but I consider it more a rock feature than a "summit", and it's crammed in there with a lot of other named features around Longs, so I chose to leave it off.
JoeGrim

Postby John Kirk » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:33 am

JoeGrim wrote: I initially tried adding unofficially-named peaks that weren't ranked (or soft ranked), but these made the maps too cluttered in certain areas, particularly Boulder Mountain Parks. So, I opted to change the criteria to leave those peaks off.

Boulder county is the prime example of excess unofficial naming and aside from the Flatirons is often more of a geocaching exercise.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Brian Kalet » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:09 pm

Joe: It looks like you don't have Golden Age Hill marked as a ranked peak.
Brian Kalet

Postby JoeGrim » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi Brian,

I was using an older data set with the 8378' elevation to make the map. I see now that it is listed as 8400' here on LOJ, so I'll make the update one of these days and post here once it's made.

Joe
JoeGrim

Postby JoeGrim » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Okay. It's been updated.
JoeGrim

Return to Colorado Peaks