South Ralston

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

South Ralston

Postby argothor » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:32 pm

I see a number of people have summited South Ralston, however it seems that access to the summit is either through a restricted area within White Ranch Open Park Space or perhaps through private property.

Are there any suggestions on how to summit South Ralston, without getting in trouble with the law?
argothor

Re: South Ralston

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:49 am

Yes, I suggest a VERY early start or a VERY late start. :shh: The White Ranch Open Space has a live-in ranger, so a headlamp is ... noticeable? :tongue:

Interestingly, the actual summit area is OPEN open space, but the access area to it is CLOSED open space. I have not pursued access through the private property (there is a house VERY close to it at the NE corner of the peak), but it an option. I'm sure they go up there. The access to their property, however, is gated off of 93. Also, there is an open uranium mine (plowed in winter) west of the peak (on the west side of the ridge). I'm sure those folks who live in that area also walk that road (good or bad).
Jeremy Hakes

Postby Steve Knapp » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:20 am

One way that might work (according to the uncle of a friend of a friend), if you have a bike:

Park at lower White Ranch Open Space 30 minutes before sunrise on a weekend.
Get on bike, ride around the gate on Glencoe Valley Rd. The road is slightly uphill through the residential areas, then turns to dirt as it heads down to the reservoir. Once SW of the hogback, ditch the bike in the scrub. Cross the hogback, head up the valley and then up to the peak. It should take only an hour once off the bike. Return to bike, zoom downhill at warp speed back to White Ranch. Done. Sometimes you have to get a bit creative to get peaks like this checked off.

Good luck!
Steve Knapp

Postby Furthermore » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:41 pm

Snow storms work well too. You can drive right up the driveway and go.
Furthermore

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:16 am

Furthermore wrote:Snow storms work well too. You can drive right up the driveway and go.

Was the gate open during a snowstorm? :?: I've ALWAYS seen it locked...
Jeremy Hakes

Postby Furthermore » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:24 pm

The gate was open when I did it.
Furthermore

Return to Colorado Peaks