Braddock Peak

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Braddock Peak

Postby TeresaGergen » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:27 pm

I just saw this article in the _Coloradan_, which is CU's alumni magazine. A photo caption says that the peak is 11,960 ft. From the list here, it doesn't appear that it would be a ranked, previously unnamed peak. There is no map or other more specific information about where it actually is:

Braddock Peak named for prof

After spending his life making maps of Colorado's Front Range, professor emeritus William Braddock now appears in them.

Braddock Peak, north of Rocky Mountain National Park, honors the geology professor who taught at CU from 1958-94 and died in 2003. Named in September, the peak stands in the area covered by the popular Geologic Map of Rocky Mountain National Park that Braddock co-authored with former student and current USGS scientist Jim Cole ... in 1990.

"He, along with his students, mapped most of the Front Range as we know it," USGS research geologist Neil Fishman ... says. "His contribution is significant."
TeresaGergen

Postby mikeofferman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:29 am

It looks to me like it is a bump on the north ridge of Mt Mahler. The location description here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braddock_Peak and the topo would confirm this.

Also summitpost describes hiking 11,960 with Mt Mahler http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... ahler.html

You would think that they would name an actual ranked peak after him, looks like there are a few to choose from in that area.
mikeofferman

Postby TeresaGergen » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:20 am

Well, thank goodness the competent people are in charge; I never would have thought to look at Wikipedia. Thanks.

I looked up my notes for Mahler -- I descended from the saddle between it and Braddock, and have not been over the bump.
TeresaGergen

Postby John Kirk » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:40 pm

John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RyanSchilling » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:10 am

mikeofferman wrote:You would think that they would name an actual ranked peak after him, looks like there are a few to choose from in that area.

It's probably b/c it's readily visible from SH-14.

I agree with the sentiment, though. I hereby declare that when they name a peak after me, I want it to be ranked :please: :-D
RyanSchilling

Return to Colorado Peaks