Sanitas

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Sanitas

Postby lukePlumley » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:47 pm

I finally made a trip up the Mt. Sanitas trail in Boulder today and was surprised to see that the main trails didn't go to the actual summit, but rather to the summit of "Sanitas Mountaineer Top". Many have checked Sanitas on their list, with few checking "SMT", but I doubt most have gone the extra quarter mile out to the highest point shown on the topo. Trees blocked sight-leveling. The topo shows an extra contour. No way to tell for sure, but I bet it is accurate. Also, John, your list shows 3rd class for "SMT", but it is certainly only class 2. Anyone else have thoughts on the highest point up here?

lp
lukePlumley

Postby John Kirk » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:31 am

I take it you had a GPS? I did this with Steve H a few years ago as an after work jog with a bottle of water in my hand as the only equipment. Then we did a 3rd class rib on the east side of the trail that he called the Mountaineer Top. What is the significance of "Mountaineer Top" anyway (also Anemone Mountaineer)? I never bothered to look to check that one off. In retrospect, it seems the rib was a further down, but my memory is a little foggy. John Prater could surely verify whether Mountaineer Top is the primary trail destination (34 times).
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby lukePlumley » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:55 pm

I believe that Gerry labels these this way to mean that that is the destination for the main trail. Same with "Anemone Mountaineer" is probably the terminus of that trail too. I haven't been up that one though either to confirm.

I didn't have my GPS along, but the 80' drop off of the Mountaineer to the true summit is very obvious. I also had the "Boulder/Nederland" map along which clearly shows the trail junction on the "Mountaineer".
lukePlumley

Postby John Prater » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:36 pm

Here's a discussion on 14erWorld on the topic. Yes, I believe the "Mountaineer" names came from Gerry (see here).

I've checked the elevations on the two summits with my Suunto altimeter (10 ft resolution) a few times. Pretty much get the exact same readings on both summits, although my suspicion is that the 6863' point is slightly higher (ie, I think they're within 10 ft of each other).
John Prater

Postby John Kirk » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:15 pm

Thanks for the info. I put Mountaineer Top as class 1. Can't remember if the trail literally goes to the summit or not.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to Colorado Peaks