LCW peak 10926 YDS rating

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

LCW peak 10926 YDS rating

Postby DSunwall » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:23 pm

I believe I found any easier route up 10926 than John P. I am guessing John gave it the 5.4 rating.

John, we, Adam McFarren and I traversed around to the south side once we were about 75' from the summit. We went into a cave and walked under neath the summit to the north side and exited up through a hole to a ledge that led to the summit. this ledge was pretty airy but seemed class 4 at best. does this sound like your route?
DSunwall

Postby DSunwall » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:03 am

John did not give the rating apparently, I could see 5.4 being correct without finding the cave route.
DSunwall

Postby Mike Garratt » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:42 pm

Most peaks in the LCW I did in the late fall but after checking that one out I went to do it in the summer time because of that ledge on the N face. Needed it to be dry - no monsoon and with no ice from early snows.

That N side ledge was the crux! Pops you out right on top! BTW I found a way off the N side ledge on the W side so I ended up doing a counter clockwise loop around the peak. Came in from the W from the end of the Lost Park road as a day hike. A scramble but not technical.

That one looked a lot harder from afar than it was to do once up close in person. Another of the rocky lumps in LCW. Checked my log - did it 8/28/1997. Probably my last peak on the Windy Peak Quad.
Mike Garratt

Postby RyanSchilling » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:11 pm

That looks like a cool peak, Dwight! Calls to mind the summit where we climbed through that hole when we did McCurdy/Bison. Clearly this route on 10926 is on a much grander scale, though! Should I check FW for a TR?

I have a correction, too. I don't think North Little Scraggy's summit could be called Class 4. After seeing Jeremy's report, it may have been a simple mis-reading of his text, in which notes that he took a Class 4 ascent up some random rockpile/tower but that NL Scraggy's northern & highest summit was Class 3. I felt the same, that it was Class 3.
RyanSchilling

Postby DSunwall » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:54 am

RyanSchilling wrote: Should I check FW for a TR?

I gave kevin some static about not posting trip reports here so I suppose I better. I did post one on 14W for the entire trip but did not give any details for this peak.

http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/TripReport.php?Id=750
DSunwall

Return to Colorado Peaks