11460A location

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

11460A location

Postby DSunwall » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:16 am

One more LCW peak correction. McCurdy Park Tower 11460A

The LOJ waypoint is on the west point, which does have the 11440 contour, but in reality the highpoint is the eastern point with the 11400 contour. I think the elevation should then be interpolated to 11420 which is closer to my GPS reading of 11408. :-P

At first I thought it should be given the Name McCurdy Park Tower which is named on the TI map, if thats worth anything. Since the actual high point is not on the climbing tower maybe not.

Ryans photo is of McCurdy Park tower, 11460A high point is behind it on the next row of rock spires. Of course I don't have a good photo from a distance of it either.
Attachments
11460A location.JPG
11460A
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:40 pm

How was the height differential calculated? Or is it just blatantly obvious when viewing one summit from the other?

Two things -
First, I'm more inclined to think a contour in missing on the east summit rather than an extra one exists on the west one that shouldn't be there. There's potentially no solution for this since without heavy-duty survey equipment as I'm not going to trust GPS elevation.

Second, what is the difficulty rating of the east vs. west summits?
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:49 pm

Two reasons:

Mike Garratt put a register on the east point, John Prater also thought it was higher.

I brought my hand level and estimated the west point to be at least 10' lower. It is fairly obvious visually as well.

Both points have a 5.4 or so final move.

The GPS thing was a joke mostly, although in this case I think it is telling me there is nothing 11460 there. I do understand you cannot rely on GPS readings for summit elevations.

I guess that is four reasons. I see the change.
Last edited by DSunwall on Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSunwall

Postby Mike Garratt » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:36 pm

I went to both summits. Twice. Two different trips.
The old eyeballs said the E was higher.
The top of the E summit is pointy (new technical term!) while the W summit is flatter and larger.
This makes me suspect that a contour is missing on E summit.
Not the first time I have seen a contour missing on a low summit in the trees.
Mike Garratt

Return to Colorado Peaks