Specimen Mtn access

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Specimen Mtn access

Postby Rick Witting » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:34 pm

I'm closing in on finishing the 125 named peaks in RMNP and since Specimen Mtn is permanently closed, I'm wondering how to get access. Several climbers have summited according to the list. How do you climb it legally?
Rick Witting

Postby mikeofferman » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:21 pm

Does hiking at night constitute legal :roll: ?
mikeofferman

Postby JoeGrim » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:04 pm

The only legal way I have heard of is to join a group doing a scientific study or field trip within the area, but these are few and far between. I know someone who got special permission to lead a group up there on a wildlife field trip, as his professional studies are in that area. But just before the trip, there was a new person in charge of granting access and he revoked the permit.

Probably your best bet is to follow Mike's advice or wait for a foggy day.
JoeGrim

Postby TeresaGergen » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:12 pm

Half a moon and a GPS go a long way.
TeresaGergen

Postby Rick Witting » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:25 pm

Thanks for responding everyone, I was hoping RMNP had a provision for peak baggers!
Rick Witting

Postby mikeofferman » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:51 pm

Let me know if you are looking for a hiking partner next summer. I have the never summer range plus the southwest section of the park left.

PM me if you would like notes on how I did the peak, plus another possible route in a friend of mine did.
mikeofferman

Postby Mike Garratt » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:08 pm

You know another way into Speciman is from the Long Draw Road.
I have done it from La Poudre Pass going over the 12307 coming from the N to get away from the crowds when the trail was open.

There is a bridge at the gaging station at the pass to get over the ditch.
Mike Garratt

Postby Rick Witting » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:08 pm

mikegarratt wrote:You know another way into Speciman is from the Long Draw Road.
I have done it from La Poudre Pass going over the 12307 coming from the N to get away from the crowds when the trail was open.

There is a bridge at the gaging station at the pass to get over the ditch.

Thanks Mike.
Rick Witting

Re: Specimen Mtn access

Postby Rick Witting » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:51 pm

Well, I just finished climbing all of the ranked and named peaks in RMNP except Specimen and N Specimen. I have petetioned the Park for a permit for access, but have not received a response. It has been a month. The penalty for tresspassing is a $5000 fine. So, it looks like I will not be able to complete either list, ranked or named peaks in RMNP. Although I have really just been focused on this goal for the last decade, I climbed my first peak in RMNP 34 years ago. It is really disappointing.
Rick Witting

Postby RyanSchilling » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:31 pm

Is claiming ignorance a possibility? I noticed recently that the RMNP Trails Illustrated gives no inclination of the closure. It shades the area in purple and says 'No Camping.' There's some descriptive text on the top of the map.

"The park contains three Research Natural Areas which are part of a national system representing important resources for scientific investigations which require natural areas unaltered by human intervention. The management emphasis in these areas is on preserving and protecthing them by controlling any disruptive use, encroachment, and development. Day use is allowed, but there are no trails in these areas and camping is not permitted. These areas are shown with a purple tint on the map."

The official RMNP map shows even less than that.

Is the signage there pretty blatant?
RyanSchilling

Postby Rick Witting » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi Ryan. I saw that verbiage on the TI map also. And if you talk to the rangers, you get varying responses. They say ingonrance is not an excuse. I did some research on the penalty for accessing closed areas and the 5 grand is a big deterent. I have talked with the Long's Peak Climbing Ranger and the Director of Search and Rescue since I assisted in a rescue in the Park and hoped they might return the favor, but they were both reluctant to take up the cause. I am trying to find out who actually set the policy and see if I can go with a wildlife biologist. So far, I have found it very difficult to find a responsible party. But I haven't given up yet. The most informative sign I have found is the one at the crater, which explains this is the part of the Park where the Big Horn get access to the rest of the Park. I don't want to be the one that kept the sheep from ever returning to RMNP. I still think it should be OK to come in from the north (Long Draw). But I want something in writing at this point.
Rick Witting

Postby ChrisRoberts » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:04 pm

I was originally going to do them via La Poudre Pass and walk up the ditch on the W side of the peaks, but then I just said screw that and hiked up them in broad daylight from The Crater. Started at 1pm to avoid the crowds (that would come back to bite me as I'd get caught in a nasty lightning storm), even left the Crater while there were people there. Didnt see anyone. The signage is blatant, so if you want to claim ignorance do it from La Poudre Pass.

If you see a ranger, RUN
ChrisRoberts

Postby ChrisRoberts » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:07 pm

Rick Witting wrote: I don't want to be the one that kept the sheep from ever returning to RMNP.

Another point, dont do it in early summer when theyre lambing, you'll 'scare' the sheep and have a much higher chance of encountering the fuzz. Do it late in the season.

Nobody scared the elk out of RMNP. The only places Ive seen sheep in RMNP were Mt Ida and Mummy Mtn, where its perfectly legal to climb.
ChrisRoberts

Postby lukePlumley » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:18 pm

Rick,

Sheep and Rangers sleep at night....especially under a full moon.... :shh:

lp
lukePlumley

Postby Rick Witting » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Here is the official reply to my petition to obtain access to climb Specimen and N Specimen.

Rick,

I'd love to give you permission on your summit quest however...we can't
condone entering into a critical and sensitive protected area such as
Specimen Ridge. We've had a series of violations that have disturbed
Bighorn Sheep in the protective zone. Rarely and only on specific
occasions do we allow researchers to enter the area. Since I've been here
(6 years) we've never allowed park employees and park rangers to enter the
area.

Enjoy the autumn in this section of the park from a respectful distance.

Mark C. McCutcheon
Colorado River District Ranger

970-586-1526
Rick Witting

Next

Return to Colorado Peaks