Eagles Nest B misplaced on quad?

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Eagles Nest B misplaced on quad?

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:51 pm

I'm thinking so. I noticed that Google Maps terrain view placed the Eagles Nest label on the more rugged 6353-foot summit that overlooks the Poudre. The coordinates at the GNIS give the same results.

GNIS feature
LoJ page
RyanSchilling

Postby John Kirk » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:31 am

Changed - hopefully Vince got the right one (only one to have logged an ascent) or both.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby TWorth » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:39 am

Good find Ryan - from the contours, it looks like the 6353 point might be more challenging to get up than 6422.

It would be nice to be able to identify similar cases in these lists where GNIS has the correct location vs. the topo map. It would take forever to go through each named point manually, but there may be a way to automate the process. I've written data retrieval software in VB similar to this, and in theory it should not be too complex - get the GNIS coords for a given named point, compare to the coords on the lists that were compiled manually, and produce a list of peaks with location discrepencies. Sounds like another project - I'll have to look into it. If anyone knows of a similar program which has already been written, perhaps they can post some information here. One problem is that GNIS (in my experience) has a lot of errors, so I'm guessing many of the discrepancies found would be due to GNIS being wrong, rather than the topo.
TWorth

Postby TWorth » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:58 pm

OK, after checking with John on this, I've hacked together a GNIS analysis program to produce two lists for Colorado.

First one contains instances where the GNIS coordinates differ from the LOJ coordinates by at least .0072471 degrees - half a mile.

Second list contains named GNIS entries(summits, pillars, ridges) which are included in GNIS but not found of the LOJ database.

Many of the discrepancies in list 1 are probably due to GNIS being wrong, but its possible there are a few cases where GNIS has the correct location.

Some of the peaks on list 2 do actually show up on LOJ, but are under a different name or spelling. Still, there may be a few hills or ridges on here that were missed when the original CO list was compiled.

http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~worth/Coords.html

http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~worth/NotINLOJ2.html
TWorth

Postby John Kirk » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:24 pm

I looked at all on list 2, and those not listed below were either GNIS misspellings, variant names, massif names already possessing refined naming for peaks on it, zero prominence, in another state, zero prominence hills referring to a slope a road goes up, refer to a town, ditch, hole, flat-out not correct (Sheep Mtn of Horse Creek Springs Quad comes to mind), or already included with the same spelling (only quad differs). Smith Rim is an interesting variant where the 100k map says Little Emerson Peak - I will retain the latter. Wingle Ridge is a good find because it replaces unoffical name "South Shrine Mtn", and Bull Ridge replaces unnamed 9022.

Some that could be added:

Pordonia Point
Egry Mesa
Lone Rock
Panorama Point
Middle Mountain
Haystack Mountain
Log Hill Mesa (where to place?)
Brockover Mesa
Mount Pau
Scott Hill
Strawberry Peak
Wild Mountain
Lone Tree Mesa
Skinner Hill
Molly and Mable (Which witch is which?)
Balanced Rock
Castles by Castle Rock Chaffee County
Toponas Rock
Turkey Ridge
Wells Ridge
J K Ridge
Monegar Ridge
Casteel Ridge
Goat Trail Ridge (and Rough Ridge, Buck Ridge)
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RyanSchilling » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:00 am

Lots of overlooked features! I got curious about Toponas Rock, found it in TOPO, and collected its stats. Yeah, I know, "Thanks, big help, Ryan!" :roll: :-D

Name: Toponas Rock
Elev: 8755
Range: Gore
Counties: Routt
Quad: Toponas
Coord: 40.0869304, -106.7530970
saddle: 8580
Saddle coord: 40.08853, -106.75107
Prominence: 175
Line Parent: Green Ridge BM
Prox Parent: 9675
Isolation: 1.76
RyanSchilling

Nice work!

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:12 pm

Always good to add to the database. :)

Nice work, all! John - your knowledge of the names and mtns of Colorado are surpassing many a mighty climbing mind! You might pass up Ormes soon! Crikey :shock:
Jeremy Hakes

Return to Colorado Peaks