El Punto summit points

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

El Punto summit points

Postby kirkmallory » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:32 am

Last year when I climbed El Punto, I found I was unable to get myself to take the exposed ledge on the west side of the summit ridge to reach the rocks at the southern end of the summit ridge. This exposed ledge is described as part of the route in Dave Cooper's "Colorado Scrambles" to reach "the summit." What I found a year ago was a rock on the northern end of the summit ridge, reachable without having to take the exposed ledge. My brother, who was with me & who did take the ledge to reach the southern rocks, agreed it might be higher. I felt good about counting it then.

Over the last year, I felt less & less good about counting it, so my good friend Teresa Gergen agreed to return with me, with a rope, to get me to the southern rocks. Despite worse conditions (wet rock & very sticky mud), I reached the southern rocks. But we both concluded that the northern rock still looks higher. If that's the case, taking that exposed ledge is not required.

If someone climbs this and has a level, I'd love to hear what they think is higher. Here's the best digital pic (from last year, with my brother behind it), of the rock that I think is highest, which can be reached from the northern end of the summit ridge:
Attachments
El Punto Summit Rock.jpg
kirkmallory

Return to Colorado Peaks