LCW coordinates

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

LCW coordinates

Postby DSunwall » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:32 pm

hey John,

awhile back you posted a few Topo! files with all the ranked peaks as waypoints, 12K and up. I (and others I know) have gotten a lot of use out of them.

I have noticed that you have the coordinates for all the LCW summits, do you have a Topo! file that covers just the LCW?
DSunwall

lcw tpo

Postby John Kirk » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:39 am

Here y'are. The message field is the peak's prominence.
Attachments
lcw.tpo
lost creek topo! file
(5.81 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:07 pm

I should have asked for all the peaks in the Roach's LCW book. :-P

I added North Twin Cone Peak which is just outside the LCW. The Puma Hills also are not in the LCW. I will be checking for others.

North Tarryall and Topaz are outside LCW.

but THANKS, the file is great to have.
DSunwall

Postby John Kirk » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:36 pm

DSunwall wrote:I should have asked for all the peaks in the Roach's LCW book. :-P

I originally did have the peaks 'in the area' as per Gerry's list, but took it down to the actual wilderness boundary since I was adding other wildernesses. John Prater pointed me to a good resource for the most current boundaries after pointing out that the list wasn't really the wilderness peak list in the literal sense. http://nationalatlas.gov/natlas/Natlasstart.asp
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RyanSchilling » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:27 am

That's a cool site, John. How, though, did you take the information from the atlas and use it in TOPO?
RyanSchilling

Postby John Kirk » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:38 am

RyanSchilling wrote:That's a cool site, John. How, though, did you take the information from the atlas and use it in TOPO?

With the layers (Wilderness Preservation Area Boundaries), you can hover over the boundary and put decimal degrees coords into a spreadsheet manually from the status bar of your browser (bottom bar). This doesn't work in Firefox (among many other JavaScript functions not supported by Firefox). With the coordinates, import to TOPO! and then connect the coords - a polygon of the wilderness area. I then query the db for all peaks in the quads present, delete ones outside the boundary, and tag peaks remaining.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:18 pm

TopoFusion has recently added GIS layers. One layer is Wilderness boundaries, shown in yellow on the attached map. The boundaries show on all tile levels which is nice. The roads are brown, they do not follow the actual roads real close. The GIS layer is a GPX file downloaded from TopoFusion, not sure how they create it.
Attachments
GISlayersTopoFusion.jpg
DSunwall

Return to Colorado Peaks