Jefferson County Ranked Peaks

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Jefferson County Ranked Peaks

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:32 am

Looking for beta (especially access beta) for all of the ranked peaks in Jefferson County. For some weird reason, I think this would be a fun thing to do during times when I don't climb taller mountains. Thanks in advance.
Jeremy Hakes

Postby John Kirk » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:31 am

There are some I know to have "issues" after attempts to find access, listed by descending severity:

Doublehead Mountain
Scartop Mountain
"South Ralston"
Point 8140 C
Riley Peak
Sampson Mountain

I think we could figure some of these out if we put our heads together (maybe contacting land owners?)

This winter I'd like to take on Jeffco more seriously as well. I'm hoping to finish up Clear Creek first (I'm at 46 of 64).
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

More...

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:35 am

I have an "in" we can pursue with "South Ralston". Did you have any luck on Douglas Mountain (unranked)? I'd be in for CC if you want any company. :)
Jeremy Hakes

Mt. glennon

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:02 am

John - do you remember how you accessed Mt. Glennon? Trying to get up there this evening...
Thanks!
Jeremy
Jeremy Hakes

Postby John Kirk » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:21 am

Haven't gotten around to Douglas yet. I've scoped it out several times in all directions, and I think the only reasonable way to do it is to park on the highway vs. in the 'community'. This involves a hefty hike (for an unranked summit, anyway) on the road before heading up between lots. This is kind of how I thought it might work; 7 miles RT (also an OK access point for Mount Tom):
Attachments
douglas.jpg
douglas.jpg (150.03 KiB) Viewed 7234 times
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Mt. glennon

Postby John Kirk » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:35 am

Jeremy Hakes wrote:John - do you remember how you accessed Mt. Glennon? Trying to get up there this evening...
Thanks!
Jeremy

I started kind of early on Glennon after a snowstorm and headed up from the northeast. A sign proclaims Jeffco Open Space on the west side of the road, still fairly close to the turn before heading into Morrison. There is a steep footpath that ends fairly quickly.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.65059&lon=-105.18263&s=25&datum=nad27&layer=DRG
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

West access

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:46 am

Yeah, that's where we started out last time (NE side) - in theory, there is a west access that a friend of mine used to "run" up, but with all the new houses there, I don't really want to run through someone's yard on the west side...
Jeremy Hakes

Postby John Kirk » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:27 pm

I just put in a county summits summary area to easily track your/others stats on counties. This is handy for figuring out what you've done/have left, for example by selecting Member and County, then clicking unclimbed to see what is left (shown below).

http://www.listsofjohn.com/Colorado/CountySummits/CSIndex.php
Attachments
jeremy.jpg
jeremy.jpg (43.3 KiB) Viewed 7220 times
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

SWEET

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:49 am

Can I just say how awesome that is? Thanks, John. 8)
Jeremy Hakes

Douglas Mtn.

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:57 am

We could have someone drop us off at the road in the neighborhood to get douglas. I might also give that guy a call and ask his thoughts on access - he lives on the SE corner, and has traditionally allowed access to CMC hikes for Douglas...
Jeremy Hakes

give 'em an inch...

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:02 am

John - I have honestly no idea about this stuff, but how hard is it to add a "click" column to the lists so people can see where the summit of said mountain is? Not to ask for special favors, though... :oops:
Jeremy Hakes

Re: give 'em an inch...

Postby John Kirk » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:12 am

Jeremy Hakes wrote:...add a "click" column to the lists so people can see where the summit of said mountain is?

I've hyperlinked the peak names to the profiles page, so once you click on a peak name, you can see who's climbed it, topozone links, and weather links.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Douglas Mtn.

Postby John Kirk » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:20 am

Jeremy Hakes wrote: I might also give that guy a call and ask his thoughts on access - he lives on the SE corner, and has traditionally allowed access to CMC hikes for Douglas...

That would be outstanding. I know you mentioned a guided Ralston Buttes trip a while back - is that still in the works?
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Ralston Buttes

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:36 am

yes - I just need to get a definitive date and number of interested people from here and Fourteenerworld.com and ask when it works out for the majority of people. He lives right at the base of it and said we could park at his house - evidently even some of the angry neighbors egg cars and leave hate mail on vehicles parking there. Probably early on a Saturday or Sunday would be best, methinks. I know of about 4-5 people that would be in (at least) for that trip, also. Great if we could shove everyone into one vehicle at park it at his house...
This weekend is no good, but I can try for one we can all (mostly) agree upon...
Jeremy Hakes

Douglas Mtn.

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:53 am

Tried the number I have for access on Douglas - no luck on the phone # - disconnected. I think I'll write a short letter asking for permission and a new phone #...

I'll keep you up to date on it. I'll try and write it/send it today.
Jeremy
Jeremy Hakes

Next

Return to Colorado Peaks