Fort Carson Downrange Pass & Safety Class

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Fort Carson Downrange Pass & Safety Class

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:14 am

Hi there,

If you're working on El Paso county, Pueblo county, or Fremont county, there are safety briefings coming up in a few weeks - I believe the first one is April 6. The class is required to legally access some ranked peaks on the army base.

You can buy the required recreational permit here on April 1 or later (don't buy it today or it will expire April 1st): https://fortcarson.isportsman.net/buy-permits.aspx#/

Here's the schedule: https://fortcarson.isportsman.net/safetybrief.aspx

I made a bunch of trips out there a few years ago, and still didn't get Booth, dang it.

Susan
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Re: Fort Carson Downrange Pass & Safety Class

Postby avalletta » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:19 pm

Susan, thanks for the info. Al
avalletta

Postby KentonB » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:19 pm

Susan - Glad to see you're going after Booth! Don't forget the unranked "Buck Hill" is down there too. While not very exciting, we returned via a dry riverbed with some great geological features! I put my tracks in a trip report for this summit on its page.
KentonB

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri May 06, 2016 8:20 am

Hi Kenton,

Thanks for the reminder, and yes, I want to get everything I have left while I have this silly pass!

The recreation permit went up to $30 this year, and has become ridiculously popular. I sat through a class of about 100 "recreationists." Also, they no longer allow guests, so anyone who wants to hike on Fort Carson has to go through the training and buy the pass. This change (we were told) was due to hunters bringing their families on base and then leaving them in the car. Also, non-DoD folks (like me) have to undergo a background check. I may camp in PiƱon Canyon this summer also, to take advantage of the pass while I have it.

By the way... I tried Booth last Saturday but the road was a river due to all the melting snow. If they update the Open Areas page and it's open this weekend, I will try again, and hopefully hit up "Buck Hill," too, so thanks for the tracks!

See'ya out there...

Susan
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Return to Colorado Peaks