Possible Flatiron Additions

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Possible Flatiron Additions

Postby Brian Crim » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:17 pm

Just noticed a few formations that were not listed. All of these are in all of the normal Flatiron guides (Roach, Haas, Rossiter).

The "Overture". Has a 4th class route up the short west side and has approx. 20 feet of prominence.
LAT: 39.9734 LON:-105.2887

The "Hobo". 4th class east face up to small, airy summit with approx. 30-40 feet of prominence.
LAT: 39.9797 LON:-105.2911

"Ridge 4". AKA "Mohling's Arete". 3rd class downclimb. Approx. 15 feet of prominence.
LAT: 39.9802 LON:-105.2948
Brian Crim

Re: Possible Flatiron Additions

Postby John Kirk » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:56 am

Added. While I'm looking at it, what is the name source for "Angelic Perch", "Lower Angel's Way", and "Heaven" - are these all Roach names (don't have any flatiron books)?
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Brian Crim » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:31 pm

Thanks!

John Kirk wrote:Added. While I'm looking at it, what is the name source for "Angelic Perch", "Lower Angel's Way", and "Heaven" - are these all Roach names (don't have any flatiron books)?

I do believe that Angelic Perch, Lower Angels Way and Heaven are from Roach. But in the route descriptions in his book he only specifies Heaven as being an extra credit summit and the actual high point of Ridges 1 and 3. I would think that on LoJ, the only summits that should be included on the 4 northern ridges of Skunk Canyon would be...

Ridge 1 aka Stairway to Heaven
Heaven (extra credit summit halfway up)
Ridge 2 aka Satans Slab
Ridge 3 aka Angel's Way
Ridge 4 aka Mohling's Arete

Also. Looking at his list on his site...http://www.summitsight.com/Project_Isla ... ns.shtml... Heaven is not included, nor Lower Angels Way or Angelic Perch.
Brian Crim

Postby jmbrooks8 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:25 pm

Ridge 1 consists of 3 summits, and the route named "Stairway to Heaven" covers all 3. Roach clearly states the lowest summit is "a wonderful pinnacle known as Like Heaven" and the highest summit is "high point - Heaven". From further description it is clear the two are distinct & separate named points. I would venture to say the "Stairway" is not part of the summit name, but the 3-summit climbing process to get to Heaven.

Maybe "Angel's Way" is similar. Roach mentions two summits, the lower one with no name, and the high point of the final summit flatironette which he refers to it as "angelic perch" in lower-case.

The intermediate points are worthy of inclusion since you have to detour to summit them vs. simply go over them to get to final summit.

Similar to South Block on Second Flatiron - not the high point, but a detour route to a sub-hp.
jmbrooks8

Postby Brian Crim » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:07 pm

You are correct!

I just checked the book and Roach does call the highpoint on Ridge 1 "Heaven" and the sub-summit further down "Like Heaven".

Ridge 3 is a bit different though. Although he describes the highpoint as being an angelic perch, he still calls the whole thing "Angel's Way". Where did the summit on LoJ, "Lower Angel's Way" come from? He mentions downclimbing a small summit before the actual summit of Angel's Way, but does not name it or really mention is other than something you'll pass on the route. Sounds like the summits on LoJ should be...

Heaven aka Ridge 1
Like Heaven
Ridge 2 aka Satan's Slab
Angel's Way aka Ridge 3
Mohling's Arete aka Ridge 4
Brian Crim

Postby Brian Crim » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:26 pm

While we're at it, I have 6 more additions that are listed in the Roach book. I haven't been in that area much so haven't done many of them yet.

Eastern Shanahan Slab
Center Coordinates: 39.9599,-105.2864
About 20 feet of prominence.
Class 2 downclimb.

The Keel
Center Coordinates: 39.9578,-105.2904
I haven't done it so not sure of prominence. Roach lists the easiest way down a tree climb or class 4 rock with potential rappel.

Devil's Wings
Center Coordinates: 39.9560,-105.2922
I haven't done it so not sure of prominence. Roach doesn't mention the downclimb.

Pegasus
Center Coordinates: 39.9567,-105.2881
I haven't done it so not sure of prominence. Roach doesn't mention the downclimb but says "this Flatiron is complicated, and you should approach it with caution."

The Tiller
Center Coordinates: 39.9586,-105.2862
I haven't done it so not sure of prominence. Roach says the downclimb is class 3.

Devil's Advocate
Center Coordinates: 39.9540,-105.2868
I haven't done it so not sure of prominence. Roach says the downclimb is class 3 if you pass a final overhang using a dead tree leaning against the base. Who knows if it's still there or not.
Brian Crim

Postby John Kirk » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:46 am

I'll try to get these others added soon.

Brian Crim wrote:Ridge 3 is a bit different though. Although he describes the highpoint as being an angelic perch, he still calls the whole thing "Angel's Way". Where did the summit on LoJ, "Lower Angel's Way" come from? He mentions downclimbing a small summit before the actual summit of Angel's Way, but does not name it or really mention is other than something you'll pass on the route.

I've attached an original list from jmbrooks I got in September 2012. It would be great if you could amend this list with the source for each name. These are the notes I have:
Most of these are from GR's Flatirons guidebook, with agreement from Haas or Rossiter book. I think the first two are only from Haas book.
I included Fifth Flatiron even though not closed contour because it is major Flatiron, often climbed, and is descended via 75' rappel (no closed contour???). I think Dakota Ridge came from map. Sunset Hill is on GR's Boulder Co list and you can find on most Boulder maps. 4th Elephant Buttress is also on GR's list. I think this is identified in the Boulder Canyon rock climbing guidebook. Wind Tower & Rebuffat Summit came from Steve Levin's new Eldo bk.

_.png
Attachments
Boulder Co New Pks.xls
(22 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby jmbrooks8 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:39 pm

Heaven / Like Heaven distinct summits also in Rossiter's Flatirons bk.

I think there will be many more named peaks to add from Boulder Canyon, Eldorado Canyon, etc. now that a closed contour is not a min req.

I updated spreadsheet, but I know many more have been added here since.

BTW - I really appreciate having these coordinates here, and as accurate as possible. Thanks to all the climbers too for feedback & updates. I go into the Flatirons with a GPS and still get lost. I have not climbed them 10x like Gerry or the Brian(s). So when you're hunting down a new formation to climb, this info & beta really helps. No books or other websites seem to have the summit locations. Haas bk has start-of-climb cords.
Go on a weekend, and ask any tennis-shoe climber what formation you happen to be on, and you get blank looks!
Attachments
Boulder Co New Pks Amended.xls
(33.5 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
jmbrooks8

Postby Brian Crim » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:19 pm

I transferred it into a google sheet and added notes on the existing summits listed, specifically commenting on the Flatiron routes. I only have the Haas and Roach guides. I see the jmbrooks8 updated the list but I have a mac and can't open the excel file on my home computer so sorry for duplicate info.

**The only Flatiron summits that were not in either Roach or Haas were Portico, Lower Angel's Way and Terror Summit.

Here is the link...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I also made a master list of routes and formations from the Roach guide in a google sheet as well. Here is the link for that...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

EDIT: I forgot about this thread about Terror Summit. Supposedly the name was confirmed but it is still not in a guidebook.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=973
I'm not convinced that random unnamed summits that are just casually mentioned should be included in LoJ. For example, Roach also mentions a small summit between Fee and Fi and lists a route on it but does not include a name. :worms:
Brian Crim

Postby Furthermore » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:19 am

I think there are still a few missing. One off the top of my head, before my cup of coffee, is W.C. Fields Pinnacle (39.9863, -105.2915 Hass Book, don't have page reference at the moment)

I'll take a closer look if I round up some time today.
Furthermore

Postby John Kirk » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:55 pm

Sorting this out currently. Thanks for your help John, Brian, and Derek.

Brian, on your Roach list, these are some entries I have questions on. I'm guessing some are just routes and not actual formations (a "?" means where is it located):
West Bench ?
Second Flatironette ?
Ironing Boards - Eastern ?
Ironing Boards - Western ?
Jaws ?
Morning After ?
Two Move Rock ?
Sentinel Boulders* ?
Easy Street ?
Downclimb ?
Lost Sentinels ?
Woods Quarry ?
HillBilly Flatironettes ?
Northern Dinosaur Egg ?
The Rainbow ?
South Pinnacle ?
The Goose ? Is this goose rock? http://listsofjohn.com/peak/130014
Goose Eggs ? Have southern only - where is northern?
Fern Canyon Amphitheater ?
Fern Canyon Slabs* ?
The Advisors ?
The Wings ? is this the same as "Devil's Wings"?
Devil's Thumb ? Is this the officially named Devils Thumb? http://listsofjohn.com/peak/5441
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Brian Crim » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:11 am

West Bench - Center Coordinates: 39.9958,-105.2932
The West Bench is the saddle between the First and Second Pinnacles. Technically there is a short bump of rock there and it likely has 10 feet of prominence but don't feel the need to include this one. This is the type of thing that I don't feel should be included on LoJ simply because it's in a guidebook.

Second Flatironette - Center Coordinates: 39.9894,-105.2922
This is a small Flatiron leaning against the 2nd. It has about 20 feet of prominence.

Ironing Boards - Eastern - Center Coordinates: 39.9867,-105.2944
Ironing Boards - Western - Center Coordinates: 39.9863,-105.2954
Ironing Boards are big and behind the Third. I have not done them as the standard routes are quite difficult.

Jaws - Center Coordinates: 39.9871,-105.2957
The high point of the rock rib is Terror Summit, but Gerry's summit he describes is downhill.

Morning After - http://listsofjohn.com/peak/166401
Same thing.

Two Move Rock - Center Coordinates: 39.9842,-105.2919
Very little prominence (walk off).

Sentinel Boulders* - Center Coordinates: 39.9847,-105.2912
I think he describes 5. The tallest are right next to Sentinel Pass and do have some prominence. Maybe 20-30 feet.

Easy Street - Not 100%, haven't done it.

Downclimb - Not 100%, haven't done it.

Lost Sentinels - Not 100%, haven't done it.

Woods Quarry - Center Coordinates: 39.9850,-105.2888

Man-made rock cut that is not a formation.

HillBilly Flatironettes - Center Coordinates: 39.9794,-105.2899
There are several and I have not done all of them. The one I marked is the largest.

Northern Dinosaur Egg - Center Coordinates: 39.9728,-105.2887
Pretty big. Has about 50 feet of prominence.

The Rainbow - http://listsofjohn.com/peak/140801
Same thing.

South Pinnacle - http://listsofjohn.com/peak/166413
Same thing.

The Goose ? Is this goose rock? http://listsofjohn.com/peak/130014
The Goose is the same thing.

Goose Eggs ? Have southern only - where is northern?
There are several listed.

Broken Egg - Center Coordinates: 39.9665,-105.2872
Smallest Egg - Center Coordinates: 39.9670,-105.2868
Northern Egg - Center Coordinates: 39.9672,-105.2871

Fern Canyon Amphitheater
It's the forested space between all the Eggs, not a formation.

Fern Canyon Slabs*
No idea, haven't done it.

The Advisors - Center Coordinates: 39.9600,-105.2899
I believe the Advisors simply describe the mass of rock. Not sure if there is a particular summit.

The Wings ? is this the same as "Devil's Wings"?
I believe there the same thing.

Devil's Thumb ? Is this the officially named Devils Thumb? http://listsofjohn.com/peak/5441
Same thing.
Brian Crim

Postby John Kirk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks Brian.

Here are the adds:
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/newpks.php

Left out Two Move Rock and West Bench per your suggestion
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Brian Crim » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:59 am

Thanks. Quick question. Why do the new adds not show up in search? I tried to add them to my custom Flatiron list but cannot.
Brian Crim

Postby John Paul » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:02 am

Incredible stuff here guys! Keep up the outstanding work! jp
Last edited by John Paul on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Paul

Next

Return to Colorado Peaks