Wigwam Dome and Keystone Buttress

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Wigwam Dome and Keystone Buttress

Postby DerekFreed » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:37 pm

Hi,
I'm having a bit of confusion on the newly added "Wigwam Dome" and "Keystone Buttress" points in the Lost Creek list. I did a scout trip on these two (or at least what I thought were these) a few years back based on Mt. Proj information. The location of the two points was a little less than 1 mile directly SE from Wigwam Park Peak in McCurdy Quad. (Off to the left of Goose Creek trail.) I notice they were added on here up in the Windy quad, on the south slopes of Windy Peak.

Mainly curious because if what I was at wasnt Keystone Buttress, I'm wondering what it was...pretty neat formation.

--D
DerekFreed

Re: Wigwam Dome and Keystone Buttress

Postby John Prater » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:04 pm

Derek, I think you mean "Wigwam Tower" rather than "Wigwam Dome"? I've been meaning to point this out to John as well. I'm guessing he got the location of these from Hubbel's South Platte climbing guidebook. Pretty sure the coordinates for these formations are completely wrong in that book and that you pointed out the correct location, Derek.

"Wigwam Dome" is another formation that is north of Wigwam Creek, on the south slopes of Buffalo.
John Prater

Postby DerekFreed » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:18 pm

Oops! Yes, meant wigwam tower. (The one right next to keystone buttress.)
DerekFreed

Postby John Kirk » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:06 pm

John Prater wrote: I'm guessing he got the location of these from Hubbel's South Platte climbing guidebook. Pretty sure the coordinates for these formations are completely wrong in that book

Indeed. MP points this error of Hubbel's out:
_.png

I'll try to straighten these out. Looks like there are a few more adds in the LCW I just came across, like "Cap Rock Spire" and "Tarryall Tower"
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:20 pm

Got these moved. Added three others. The locations are based on matching up photos from MP.
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/106891240
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/106668697

Derek, in your TR GPX and Topo, it looks to me like you ended up on top of Keystone Buttress and not Wigwam Tower:
_.png
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DerekFreed » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:59 am

John Kirk wrote:Derek, in your TR GPX and Topo, it looks to me like you ended up on top of Keystone Buttress and not Wigwam Tower:

Yup, looks like I got them switched around. So Wigwam Tower was the one that we bypassed as there was no visible (non technical) way up. Keystone seemed doable without gear in dry conditions (from where we were at least) but not on slick rock.

Thanks for listing these. May need to head back up there this fall. Neat area.

--D
DerekFreed

Postby John Kirk » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:58 am

DerekFreed wrote:So Wigwam Tower was the one that we bypassed as there was no visible (non technical) way up.

5.8 as far as I can tell - looks like a worthy adventure.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to Colorado Peaks