Point Sublime

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Point Sublime

Postby KentonB » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:34 pm

John, I got another possible correction. I noticed that Point Sublime was added to your database recently. I climbed it today, but when I got back, I noticed that it's listed in the USGS as a "Cliff". I believe the criteria for inclusion as an official peak requires it to be either "Summit", "Pillar", or "Ridge". Is that still correct? Otherwise, there are many other cliffs that would likely need to be re-added (Devil's Slide, Corral Bluffs, etc.)

I'm not looking to decrement my peak count, but just wanted to be sure this one was still legitimate. :-)
KentonB

Re: Point Sublime

Postby John Kirk » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:27 am

I took the liberty of assuming it's a misclass by GNIS since it has closed contours in a definitive location. A "point" name can very likely be a summit. A "slide," not so much...

GNIS almost always assumes a feature is a cliff if "point" is in the name.
another example: http://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=136:3:0::NO:3:P3_FID,P3_TITLE:179078,Point%20Lookout
http://listsofjohn.com/peak/4789

Since you've done it, do you get the feeling the name is referring to the side of the cliff below it, or the HP you made it to?
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Point Sublime

Postby KentonB » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:09 pm

Got caught in a busy week, and just realized I hadn't gotten back on this. I pinged Stewart Green (who has also climbed it) to get his opinion. We're both a little uncertain. While this "point" kind of appears to be a man-made artifact of the railroad that was cut through there over a century ago, there's probably room for debate. My original thought was that "Point Sublime" referred to the entire overlook area near that turn into N. Cheyenne Canyon, but may be referring to the knob right on the corner. Therefore, I'm inclined to leave it as a summit unless evidence to the contrary materializes.
KentonB

Return to Colorado Peaks