"Longwater Dome"

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

"Longwater Dome"

Postby KentonB » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:41 am

I was scouting out some Teller County summits for a hike next week and was looking at "Longwater Dome". While doing some online research, I eventually came across a PDF link (See Here) that seems to indicate "Longwater Dome" is actually ~0.75 miles to the NNE - on the other side of Longwater Gulch. In the PDF (look at the map on the last page, lower-left corner), the current location in LoJ would then be "D.B.C. Dome" which the author clarifies as "Don't Bolt Cracks" Dome.

I'm not much of a technical climber... Does anyone have insight into this area? MountainProject didn't seem to have any info either.
KentonB

Re: "Longwater Dome"

Postby John Kirk » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:39 am

Looks like Haas' book:
http://www.fixedpin.com/products/south-platte-climbing-the-thunder-ridge-and-turkey-rock-edition

As for the location, I used Hubbel's driving and hiking approach directions to locate the dome. It seems there is better info in Haas' book though.

I'll add the new location and get the names squared away.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Furthermore » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:44 am

You are correct. I just plugged in the waypoints from Hass book (which you have the link to the PDF sampler) and Longwater is at 39.1072 105.3097. I've also compared those locations to a poor photo of Longwater in the old Hubbel Book and those match.

This is what Hass as listed for Longwater 39 06'26.35''N' 105 18'35.04''W (Man why the F*#% can't they use decimal degrees?!?, sorry, one of my pet peeves) and D.B.C at 39 05'49.40''N 105 18'59.39''W
Furthermore

Postby Furthermore » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:49 am

Also, from experience, Hass' locations are generally to the base of the crag and NOT the summit. John, if you want to borrow that book I'll be glad to loan it or I can give you the references to the named features. I also got a copy of the original desert rock ('88) which has a ton of towers listed on the rez. Sorry, I don't mean to de-rail.

I've noticed a lot of South Platte features are being added recently?
Furthermore

Postby John Kirk » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:54 am

Cool - yeah, minutes/60 and seconds/60/60 :chair:

I just ordered the book, since it looks like a lot of interesting stuff in there.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:57 am

I got an electronic loaner of Hubbel's book one day when I was bored, hence most of the SP additions. I have Haas' northern volume, though I have not made a full attempt at locating summits. Should get to it in the not-too-far-off future.

Please pass along original Desert Rock stuff
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to Colorado Peaks