Mountaineer Peak - Proposal to Rename

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Mountaineer Peak - Proposal to Rename

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:54 pm

Hey folks,

I'm working on getting a peak named for Spencer Swanger, and I could use some help vetting a candidate for my proposal. The peak I'm considering is unnamed Point 13434 (NAVD88 13440) "Mountaineer Peak" in the San Juan Mountains. I'm proposing that it be renamed Swanger Peak.

A little bit about Spencer: Spencer was the first person to climb the 100 highest peaks in Colorado. He did the first ascent of "Thunder Pyramid" on August 2, 1970, along with Bill Graves, who came up with the original list of the 100 highest. He was a hike leader for the Colorado Mountain Club for many years, and led mountaineering trips in Colorado, Mexico, South America and Europe. Spencer died in a fall in the Dolomites on July 20th, 2010, and is survived by his wife, Karen, and his two daughters, Heidi and Christina. They are aware of what I am doing and fully support it.

A little bit about renaming peaks: The USBGN will not consider a peak that's already officially named, or that lies within a wilderness area or wilderness study area, so that's limiting my options! Also, you cannot propose a name change for a living person, or until six months prior to the fifth anniversary of a person's death.

Why I think "Mountaineer Peak" is a good candidate: All the unnamed Centennial peaks are out, as they lie in wilderness or wilderness study areas. However, "Mountaineer Peak" is an unnamed (or at least unofficially named) Tricentennial, and it's on BLM land. The San Juan Mountains were Spencer's favorite peaks, specifically those around Vestal Basin in the Weminuche Wilderness. Although "Mountaineer Peak" lies north of the basin, it provides views of the Grenadiers and in fact rises up alongside (incidentally) Spencer Basin.

Unless I discover a good reason that this is not a good choice, I'm going to send an email to the CMC requesting their support, and then I will submit that with the proper paperwork. The Pikes Pique chapter of the CMC, of which Spence was a member, has already told me they will support a proposal.

Can anyone think of a reason that this would not be a good choice? Or, do you know of a better candidate?

I'm open to feedback and suggestions :-)

Thanks,

Susan
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Return to Colorado Peaks