John Kirk - Larimer County Completion

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

John Kirk - Larimer County Completion

Postby lukePlumley » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:00 am

Congratulations John Kirk, 5th completer of the ranked peaks of Larimer County! Well done John. Did you finish on Diamond? Larimer has waited awhile for a new completer. Looks like a few more might be lining up for 2015!

lp
lukePlumley

Re: John Kirk - Larimer County Completion

Postby DavidDJohnson » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:48 pm

Congratulations, John! :rock:

You crushed it at the end of this year. I know that you were in the 220s for a while, and wham, next thing I know, you've finished.

What's next? 12ers? Another county?
DavidDJohnson

Postby Brian Kalet » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:13 pm

Congrats, John!

DavidDJohnson wrote:What's next? 12ers? Another county?

He's going for all the P280+ peaks in Larimer next! :rofl:
Brian Kalet

Postby Alyson Kirk » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Way to go John! I'm very proud of my husband. I had fun on the peaks I joined you with. Way better finishing peaks for larimer then your Hurfano county finisher day peaks.
Alyson Kirk

Postby mikeofferman » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:44 pm

Nice job John!
mikeofferman

Postby JoeGrim » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:22 pm

Great job, John! Where does Larimer rank on your list of favorite counties?
JoeGrim

Postby Tom Pierce » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:46 pm

Congrats John!
Tom Pierce

Postby Steve Knapp » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:03 pm

Congrats John, you've been working on this one a long time. Some of these are a long drive from the Denver metro. I enjoyed our many trips up Poudre Canyon and elsewhere in the county, it's a great place for peak bagging.

Also, congrats on your San Juan county completion a few weeks ago. You've been on a tear this summer, as usual.
Steve Knapp

Postby TeresaGergen » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:56 am

Congrats, John - quite a few completions. He also finished the Highest 700 ranked peaks in CO recently.
TeresaGergen

Postby TWorth » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:18 am

Congrats John, too bad I couldn't join you, but weather delayed my three remaining Larimer peaks in RMNP.
TWorth

Postby John Kirk » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:55 am

Thanks!
Diamond was the last summit - I wanted to save something interesting for last. Larimer took a lot of effort. It was a lot easier to make it happen after completing the 13ers last year. A lot of the high peaks I had left to chase at the beginning of this summer were coincidentally in Larimer, so it became the logical place to go. While no single peak is off-the-charts awful (a few 10ers near Chambers Lake came close), the cumulative bushwhacking/access challenges required to complete the county seem to have a deleterious effect when comparing to other counties. There are a lot of great high peaks, and fun scrambles nonetheless. I have to be honest that San Juan County was a lot more fun (all high peaks). I guess I got my mind set on finishing it this year when I opted for an April snowshoe of "Dundicking", Storm, and the Signals.

Steve was a big help for a lot of the trips up the Poudre and Estes Park. Seemed like there was an endless supply of trips to be made to clean it up in there, but eventually we did.

Thanks again Mike for taking up the lead in the horrible Sharkstooth conditions we had.

It would have been nifty to finish together Tim - sorry I get obsessive about timing of finishing things and that the weather threw a curveball. Looks like you'll be next!

I think I'll focus on more counties before the Larimer soft-rank tour, but it's tempting :-P
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Paul » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:50 pm

Contrats JK! Larmier county's stout with 255 ranked peaks! 3rd most behind Gunny's 314 & Saquache's 258. Looks like Ouray could be next with only 6 ranked peaks left. How about the 5ers - only 13 left -> But...JP
John Paul

Postby nikolai » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:22 pm

Great work John! You're going to have to move to California soon-- It doesn't look there's much left for you here!

-Nikolai
nikolai

Postby dhgold » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:44 am

Well done! Remarkable how your pace hasn't dropped off even though your unclimbed peaks get further and further from home.
This peak should be in Colorado
dhgold

Postby Ryan Kowalski » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:28 pm

Nice job John! After talking to Luke, I have NO interest in finishing this county due to all the access issues, but have increased appreciation for all those that have persevered. You really are running out of peaks!
Ryan Kowalski

Next

Return to Colorado Peaks