The Fiddlehead - Flatirons - Possible Correction

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

The Fiddlehead - Flatirons - Possible Correction

Postby Brian Crim » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:58 pm

http://listsofjohn.com/peak/140792

Looking through the Flatirons stuff, I noticed that the closed contour marked as the Fiddlehead looked a bit off. I pulled up the sat image and noticed that the marked summit is not the Fiddlehead, but rather a higher extension of the ridge. I believe it is called the "East Ridge", but I am not sure if it is in any guidebooks (not in Gerry's for sure) nor do I know what the easiest route would be rated. It could also simply be that the satellite image just doesn't line up quite right there but it seems unlikely looking at photos.

This one is taken from mountainproject...

Makes me wonder what summit people who have logged it reached. The Fiddlehead by name, or the actual contour location?

MountainProject's page on the East Ridge. There is discussion about the name in the comments.
Brian Crim

Re: The Fiddlehead - Flatirons - Possible Correction

Postby John Kirk » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:02 pm

Interesting... I'd guess that everyone who has it logged has done the actual "Fiddlehead", but switching the map from sat to quad has it way down at 7260'. I'd add a contour that is missing in the location for 7300'. So I guess the location that Fiddlehead is in should be substituted with "East Ridge" - Do you have Rossiter's guide?
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Brian Crim » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:20 pm

I don't have the Rossiter, I only have the Roach and the Haas. Brian K does though I think. I just checked the Haas guide and he says...

"East Ridge is comprised of three major sections. The lower ridge is called Fiddlehead, a type of fern...Left of Fiddlehead is the Stealth Slab...,containing a few high quality sport routes... The last section, furthest uphill and to the north is called the Dihedrals...because of the corners and aretes that abound in the area."

On a side note, I'd think the Fiddlehead itself has enough prominence to have at least one closed contour based on the rappelling distance to get down to it's highest saddle.
Brian Crim

Postby John Kirk » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:45 am

I've added "East Ridge" with "The Dihedrals" as an alternate name:
http://listsofjohn.com/peak/162988
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to Colorado Peaks