Alyson Kirk completes Alamosa County

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Alyson Kirk completes Alamosa County

Postby John Kirk » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:28 am

Alyson became the 8th LoJ member to complete the 10 peaks of Alamosa County 5/31 on Twin Peaks.
Congrats!
Time to start taking down those bigger counties :disturbed:
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Alyson Kirk completes Alamosa County

Postby Brian Kalet » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:40 pm

Nice! How was the hike?
Brian Kalet

Postby lukePlumley » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:13 pm

Congratulations Alyson! Alamosa now, then Park, then Gunnison, right? To Bigger and better things!

lp
lukePlumley

Postby mikeofferman » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:15 am

Congrats Alyson!
mikeofferman

Postby dhgold » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:04 am

Congratulations, Alyson!
dhgold

Postby John Paul » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:34 am

Oh how fun a congratulations thread specifically for Alyson! I know it's only 10 peaks but way to go girl! I have a feeling you are going to have several more of these fairly soon - ya think! Okay I know it's a little belated but I've gotta throw out some additional kudos for that 192 you posted for April. That is freakin' sick! JP
John Paul

Postby MikeRodenak » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:29 pm

Congrats Alyson!
MikeRodenak

Postby Steve Knapp » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:18 pm

Awesome! You even had time for a 10er afterwards. Nicely done Alyson. Here's to many more. Now go get Clear Creek county finished. :)
Steve Knapp

Postby Alyson Kirk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Thank you everyone for the congrats!

Although Alamosa county is very small, I really loved finishing a county. I've been on so many of John's county finishes, it was nice to have my own. I will have to say, finishing this county sure beat what John and I did last weekend to finish Huerfano county for him. YUCK! Next on the agenda: Clear Creek and Gilpin in the near future. Fremont and Park are in the horizon. Who wouldn't want to be the first female finisher of Fremont, right?

Brian - Twin Peaks was very nice, a pretty short hike. We took a different route than the first time John did the peak from further up the trail in the drainage and he said it was a lot more enjoyable the way we went up the grass from the west.

Luke - Bigger, yes. Let me know next winter if you want to go enjoy some Fremont splendor with me!

JP - Yes, 192 is freakin' sick I will have to admit. I wanted to train hard for two back to back 50 mile races I had going on in May. March and April are great training months to do the little peaks close to home. June - August present a problem with snakes. A few of our peaks don't have trails so we can't do them in the summer months. Have you had an snake encounters yet? I hope you're still on board for pacing John and I at GM 100! We are looking forward to it!
Alyson Kirk

Postby John Paul » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:53 am

Hi Alyson - You can count on me for the GM100 - I am looking forward to it as well & think about it all the time. It kinda keeps me going day in and day out. I noticed you ran in Collegiate Peaks 50 on 5/3 & the Quad Rock 50 on 5/10 way to go! I always like to see what you and John do the day before & after your runs. Sorry but y'all are just lunatics :)

Ha! Rattlesnakes! They are definitely coming out over here -> I did run into one on 5750 (GJ quad) the other day. Pretty big for WS standards - about 2' to 3' long. I've been really cautious slowing down my pace and really keeping an eye out but ya never really know since they blend in so well - effn evolution! It's interesting to know you and John have altered your peak selections due to this - I assume the Hogback peaks are the ones you talking about. Maybe we can share snake stories when we meet - I've got a few good ones from when I lived in the Grand Canyon and in Tucson. It unfortunately seems like I have been around rattlers my whole life. I found this article and this map interesting information about Colorado rattlers.

Keep in touch! JP
John Paul

Return to Colorado Peaks