Steve Knapp Completes Lake County!

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Steve Knapp Completes Lake County!

Postby MikeRodenak » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:27 pm

Congrats to Steve Knapp on finishing Lake County this afternoon on the summit of "K 49" after a traverse from Deer Mtn. This is Steve's third county completion this October, and he spent two weekends in Florida, talk about efficient! Nice job Steve! Steve was joined on the summit by myself, Kevin (Papillon) and Sarah (Wooderson). Some snow on the route slowed us down and made some of the scrambling a little interesting, but I am glad you were able to "sneak" these two in before the snows shut the trailhead access down. Steve joined me on my Lake County finisher and I was glad to be able to return the favor, its a great county with high peaks and good public access, what were your favorites?

Its been a busy month! Congrats again! :rock:
MikeRodenak

Re: Steve Knapp Completes Lake County!

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:33 pm

Wow - what a month! Congrats, Steve, on all those peaks and for having friends who like you enough to repeat peaks for you! Pretty cool.
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Postby lukePlumley » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:54 am

Once again, congratualtions Steve! Lake County looks like a fine list!

lp
lukePlumley

Postby Brian Kalet » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:36 am

Another one down!
You need to make your way up north, poor Larimer is feeling neglected...
Brian Kalet

Postby Ryan Kowalski » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:44 am

Dang Steve! You are on a roll. I hadn't looked at the forum for awhile so had missed your other finishes so let me congratulate you on all three at once! Lake is a very reachable goal for sure and has some fine peaks. You are really on a tear this year.
Ryan Kowalski

Postby Steve Knapp » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:08 pm

Thanks everyone, it is great to finally join the long list of prestigous Lake county completers. Most of you are probably like "Yawn, big deal Steve completes another list". :-D I do enjoy the county lists very much, it provides a good short-term goal and gets you into interesting areas you might not otherwise visit. It has been a good year, I'm now done with completions until 2014. Custer may be next, we'll see.

There are many fine peaks in Lake county, another list I've been working on since 1991 when I first climbed Mt. Elbert. No special favorites, they are all great hikes. 90% of the 47 ranked summits are above 12k, pretty impressive. I'd have to say Massive holds a special appeal, with the amazing height and breadth of the mountain it dominates the scene from nearly all points in the county. Though I've only climbed it three times, each climb was memorable including the last one starting on Oklahoma and finishing on Massive which was awesome. Deer and K49 were fun in the snow and great peaks to finish on. Does anybody know where the name "K49" comes from?

Mike, thanks for the kind words and for joining me on this day. I always enjoy the hikes we do, and I appreciate you doing the repeats to join me. Nice to see Kevin and Sarah again too, fellow midwestern transplants unite! Susan, how true and Mike is one of the best friends anyone could ask for. Brian, yes I do need to get up to your back yard again soon. Most of my closest unclimbed peaks are now in Larimer. It was nice to visit Cameron pass a few weeks ago and take the long tour up Poudre canyon, past all those peaks.

Climb on everyone, see you in the hills!
Steve Knapp

Return to Colorado Peaks