John Kirk completes Colorado's 13ers

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

John Kirk completes Colorado's 13ers

Postby Alyson Kirk » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:18 pm

Congratulations to John, finishing the Colorado 13ers in style on bicentennial Mt. Oso on August 31st.

I had the pleasure of hiking around 150 of the 13ers with John during the past two years. These experiences were nothing short of incredible, exhilarating and unforgettable. John pushed me to places I didn't know I could be pushed, which has helped me to become a very talented peak bagger and ultra marathoner.

John, my husband, you're amazing and I'm so proud of you!
:rock:
Alyson Kirk

Re: John Kirk completes Colorado's 13ers

Postby Brian Kalet » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:05 pm

Congrats, John! Now you can get back to county bagging!
Brian Kalet

Postby markott » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:44 pm

John, Way to lead all us crazy courageous climbers!!! :twisted: :roll: :Mr. T:
Hope to climb with you someday!!
MO
markott

Postby kirkmallory » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:49 pm

Congratulations John! Looks like it won't be long before you finish the 1000 highest too!
kirkmallory

Postby mikeofferman » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:01 am

Congrats John! It sure didn't take you long once you put your mind to it!
mikeofferman

Postby TeresaGergen » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:20 pm

Very nice, John! Many congrats.
TeresaGergen

Postby dhgold » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Congratulations John! I'd say you're the betting favorite for the first person to do the 13ers twice, and then, the grid.
dhgold

Postby Steve Knapp » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:40 pm

This is awesome, congrats John! What a long journey on great peaks in amazing places. 150 with Aly, that is really cool that you could share the remainder of this journey together. It was great to climb some of these peaks with you. I learned a lot about going big or going home.

I've said it before and will say it again, THANK YOU for this website. Working on a something as big as the 13er list is so much easier with :loj: than it ever used to be, and is a wonderful contribution to the climbing community.

I look forward to following your progress post 13er list, but I have a feeling you'll be back to many of these with Aly. Which is great knowing how much you love repeats. :-D
Steve Knapp

Postby dhgold » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:12 am

Seconding Steve Knapp's appreciation for the site itself, it's a game changer.
dhgold

Postby MikeRodenak » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:11 am

Congratulations John! Pretty cool to finish the highest 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 and 13ers all on the same peak! Now that is list efficiency! :wiz:

I agree with the sentiments above, thanks for providing us OCD climbers with :loj: . I never could have found all the ranked peaks in Eagle County without it, let alone all the other benefits it has provided. Entertainment too as its fun to come in to work on Monday and see what everyone did over the weekend!
MikeRodenak

Postby TWorth » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:57 am

Congrats John, I remember the 13ers being a goal you always had in mind. So it was obvious you'd do it someday, only question was when. Didn't stop you from mixing in lower peaks, either.
TWorth

Postby John Kirk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Thanks everyone!

In many ways, the tools I've developed for LoJ were built for my own purposes to tackle this list. It's a daunting set of peaks with a lot of technical and logistical challenges.

Brian - Yes, County Bagging is back in session - Summit County is on the near horizon! Come to think of it, have we even done a 13er together? :shock:
Mark - It would be good to meet up for some summits - I've seen your name in many many registers
Kirk - Thanks! I remember asking you a long time ago how you combined all those peaks in single hikes - it definitely inspired and influenced my style.
Teresa - Thanks! You also been an inspiration. I forget how I would go about letting the CMC know about the completion - Are you maintaining this or who do I need to contact?
Steve - Thanks for joining me on many ambitious combinations and death marches. We often redefined a lot of what I thought was possible in a (very long) day.
Mike O - Thanks for the help with the Jagged/Peak 15 backpack and enduring rain for 4 straight days with me - that was rough!
Dave - Yes, I've been thinking about the possibility of a round 2 :toothless:
Mike R - It was fun to join you on a few 13er hikes in RMNP and Gores. Thanks for introducing me to Peachie-O's - now a regular part of my backpacking/ultrarunning arsenal.
Tim - I had a great time sharing many challenging and technical 13ers with you and I'm glad I could take you away from some of the lower terrain. I think it's time next summer for Squaretop.

Some Pics...
Very creative and thoughtful gift from Alyson, in the style of 100 mile race buckles:
IMG_2499.jpg

Finisher on Oso:
IMG_2484.jpg

The coveted summit of Lizard Head (8/27/2013) on last week's finisher effort:
IMG_2323.jpg
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RyanSchilling » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:35 pm

I knew this was imminent, but didn't catch the news until now. Congrats John!

I, too, am pleased to have climbed a number of peaks with you over the years. Some favorites I shared with you include Dallas, Pettingell, Argentine, and the Williams Mountains.

Still remember that night at your old house 10 years ago, talking to Kurt, and remarking how none of us would *ever* finish the 13ers. Glad at least one of us changed their minds ;)
RyanSchilling

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:02 am

Congratulations, John - that is a substantial accomplishment! This year has been a challenge, with the late spring snow and summer-long monsoon rains, but apparently you didn't let any of that get in your way of completing The Goal.

Nice belt buckle, and great wife, too, for supporting you! You two are a match made in... the mountains :-)

Onward and upward!
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Postby Ryan Kowalski » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:23 pm

Just aw this as well! Congratulations John. A huge accomplishment well worthy of that belt buckle (extremely cool by the way!). Some of the long days you had are simply incredible and I'm in awe of you and Allyson as you tore through quad after quad.

And of course I have to echo what so many others have said and give a hearty Thanks for :loj: . I'd venture a guess that your website has changed the nature of Colorado peakbagging. More "lesser known" peaks are getting much more attention and more people have different and unique goals then ever before (I'll finish Chaffee county ONE of these days....)

CONGRATULATIONS! There are more lists in front of you near completion I am sure.
Ryan Kowalski

Next

Return to Colorado Peaks